2 fish in a nano?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by 1.0reef, Mar 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

lol, keep up the good work!

2. Click Here!

3. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

as always! lol;D

4. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

whats it matter if it was captive bred? that has nothing to do with the difficulty of the fish. mandarins can be captive bred and they are very difficult

5. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

just one huge crap load of pods every month and yeah thats it for it's food!

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

its much more difficult than that to care for a mandarin unless yours is eating prepared food.

7. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

...... they eat 1500 pods a day.... no comment lol

8. Click Here!

9. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

yes 1.0reef, not many could afford to feed a mandarin pods, thats why you just have it in a huge tank, with a crap load of live rock and then you supplement with pods. that shows you how much pods these little guys actually eat,

10. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

No, not really. If your tank is greater than 50 gallons, has plenty of rock, AND HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED FOR 6 MONTHS +, then you don't even have to worry about it. It will feed itself on the pods. 1.0 reef it costs waay too much to add pods to a tank, just wait 6 months. bvb-etf-luva, breeding mandarins is actually quite difficult unless done by an expert aquarist or institution. The fry are born so small they sometimes don't even accept rotifers. Captive breeding is very challenging, even if fish are commonly now captive bred, it is still a huge undertaking.

11. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

No actually, again. You could comfortably house a mandarin in one of your 40 gallons if it did not have boistorous fish. And yes you can sucessfully feed mandarins live pods out of a bottle, I have seen it done, it is just expensive.

12. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

exactly what i just stated, it is very expensive to keep buying all those pods, it would really be easier just to put it in a larget tank. i have had a mandarin in one of my 40's that i used to have but even with 60 lbs of live rock and supplemented pods it started to starve and i traded it in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.