2 dead 1 breathing heavy now :(

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Toallhisdoom, Aug 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

My favorite fish...the tang is going to pass any minute now. Let me pick her up with my hand and move her to sump. Just dont want her getting wedged somewhere difficult to get 2.

:'( what a sad day...

I mix it using an airstone untill the water is clear and up 2 temp.

2. Click Here!

3. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Have you replaced your carbon?

If there is some kind of toxin in your water, the new carbon could remove it quickly enough to prevent further loss.

4. Toallhisdoom

Yes put new carbon in today. Just using a diy reactor made from a gatorade bottle. Not sure how good it works thos.

5. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

So sorry your going through this,you obviously have a passion for this hobby that is too strong to give it up.I personaaly suspect low O2 could be the problem,tangs and angels are both can suffer from this due to their high metabolism.

6. nept2n

nept2n Coral Banded Shrimp

Man I following along and I share your pain man. It's never easy losing fish and going thru this. Have you set up a hospital tank? I would set one up with a fresh batch of SW and transfer them their. At this point it could only help until you can figure out what is going on..

7. Toallhisdoom

The tang is still fighting. Most oxygenated water is in sump where i put him so i am praying he makes it through the night.

Really appreciate all the support guys. We have a great community here it means a lot during such a hard time. Some people might say they are only fish but to me they arre no different then my dog i care about them just as much.

Thanks everyone. Will update in the morning.

8. Click Here!

9. nept2n

nept2n Coral Banded Shrimp

Good luck, get some rest and hope for the best in the morning.

10. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

This would be extremely cruel and I strongly discourage you from doing this. Just adding fish to see if they are going to die or not?

This is against the whole point of reefing IMO.[/QUOTE]

seriously though, how else are we going to rule out the possibility of something wrong with the salt? I doubt that you could call up instant ocean and claim their salt is faulty and ask them to test it without some kind of evidence to back it up. I'm not trying to be cruel, in reality i'm trying to track down the cause so we can prevent this happening further with ToAll and more importantly to the thousands of people out there using Reef Crystals. "IF" and i again say if it's the salt, the quicker we find out the better. I know it sounds cruel but without paying bucko $$$ to have some lab test everything under the sun with the salt i don't know how else to go about doing this...

11. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

To further that along... he could talk to the LFS he got the mix from and see if he can track down any other recent buyers to compare notes but the chances of that are probably pretty slim i'd assume. At which point he has nothing to lose putting a couple fish in QT. Hopefully everything is fine with that salt and he'd simply have new stock to start with in a month or two once the DT is ready to go. I would hope none of us would buy an inhabitant full well knowing it will die in our setup. The simply fact is we don't know and won't until we try. Honestly though this whole salt thing is probably barking up the wrong tree. Just not much else to go on...

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

While it is possible he got a bad batch of salt the fact that it is Reef Crystals leads me to believe that it is highly unlikely. I have been to the facility and their batch testing is second to none.The fact that there are other inhabitants that are so far unaffected also leads me to believe something else is going on.:confused:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012