2 dead 1 breathing heavy now :(

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Toallhisdoom, Aug 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Honestly i think the best advise after a crash like this is to let things be for a while... no reason to tear down... just do a huge 50-75% WC and let it sit for a while. Then start small after double checking params to make sure everything's on par. Even empty (fish wise) a tank can still be rewarding assuming of course you have corals. If not, well... it's not going to hurt to leave it sit and cycle for a while, while you recover your nerve. Believe me, been there done that and glad I'm still in it. I suppose if i lost everything i have now it would hurt more but as corailline said, it's part of the hobby unfortunately. Plus you just got some cool new lights man! Hang in there...

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I had Halimeda go sexual in my tank and kill all but one fish. I just simply stabilized the tank and waited until I was calm before making any decisions. This is a good opportunity to redo your scape, add equipment you want and add corals if you are interested before adding fish. Take your time before proceeding and think things over thoroughly. Do what you feel will make you the happiest.

4. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

to me it's a bit suspicious that you just changed salts yesterday... and today everything's dying... I mean, i use and have used from day one Instant Ocean (purple one)... but that seems fishy to me too.

5. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

yeah, i'm with 2in10, add some new corals for your spiffy new setup :)

6. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Yea i am worried. What if it was a bad batch of salt? Poisoned my fish or something?

7. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

honestly? that would be your best option at this point cause if everything's dead... you aren't going to do more damage to your tank at this point. If there is a problem with the salt, more people will have this happen and then who knows? Maybe IO will compensate you for your losses... I'd hang on to that salt just in case. I mean, there's no reason really to even think anything bad about it but it just seamed a bit too coincidental to me.

You could even test the theory out and set up a qt made with fresh salt water from this batch and then add a couple healthy looking damsels from the LFS. If they're dead within 24-48 hours then honestly i'd get them on the phone and say hey!, i think somethings wrong! If they ask for the salt back to test make sure you send them a sample and not the whole thing...

8. Click Here!

9. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

You could even test the theory out and set up a qt made with fresh salt water from this batch and then add a couple healthy looking damsels from the LFS. If they're dead within 24-48 hours then honestly i'd get them on the phone and say hey!, i think somethings wrong! If they ask for the salt back to test make sure you send them a sample and not the whole thing...[/QUOTE]

This would be extremely cruel and I strongly discourage you from doing this. Just adding fish to see if they are going to die or not?

This is against the whole point of reefing IMO.

10. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

What if some of my fish survive? The clowns seem unafected for the moment.

11. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

oh... huh... idk then

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If the clowns survive make sure you mix the WC water well and for over an hour at least using an airstone or pump. You have had a great deal of changes in the last few days that any one or all could have been contributing factors in the losses.