2 dead 1 breathing heavy now :(

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Toallhisdoom, Aug 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

You only let the salt aerate for 30 minutes? Too short of a time IMO. I've always let it mix for at least 12 hours...normally 24 hours.

2. Click Here!

3. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

I only do about an hour, only until it is up to temp and mixed, any more time than when the water is clear is a complete waste.

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Just trying to help out. You know if you argue with everyone then they won't feel compelled to help.

And about the salt... I wasnt talking about aerating after mixing. I was talking about the salt mix being exposed to humid air for too long or else being old.

5. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Tang was just laying on sand bed breathing heavy. Soon to ve dead.

6. Toallhisdoom

I think im done with this hobby after this. This is just to mcuh. Losing all these fish for reason. It dosent make any sense.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I agree you should mix the salt longer for sure.
    When was the last time you added a fish and which fish?

Trust me this will probably not be the last tank crash you have. Loosing all those fish is very tough, heart breaking and extremely disappointing. Hopefully you will go on, it's a passion.

If you have access to an ORP meter I would test in the middle of the night and during the day as well.

8. Click Here!

9. Toallhisdoom

Last fish hmm maybe a month ago? Red scooter blenny.

What is orp? I just dont understand, i really care about these fish and they are just dying and there is nothing i can do?

10. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

That's the thing: Things happen. You're trying you're best. Just because things aren't working your way doesn't mean that you need to quit. Trust me, EVERYONE has had something bad happen to one of their tanks at one point or another. I hope things work out and I wish you the best of luck :)

11. Toallhisdoom

I appreciate all the help and good wishes. I just dont know where to go next. I am afraid. And i dont want to quit. I love this hobby. I am just so stressed right now i wish i could help my fish.

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

ORP is pretty complicated.

Here is a link: ORP and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I must read this article at least twice a year, every time I understand it a little better.
    It's extremely good reading and extremely relevant if you really want to get down to the nitty gritty of the general healthy of your tank.