2 Days to decide on lighting upgrade. Please help

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Salty Marine, Dec 11, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Salty Marine

Salty Marine Astrea Snail

24" Nova Extreme 4 x 24W T5 HO w/2 Lunar (Current)

24" Nova Extreme 4 x 24W T5 HO w/2 Lunar $170 shipped

or

24" 130W (2-65 watt) Dual Strip Compact Fluorescent Light Fixture - 501011

24" 130W (2-65 watt) Dual Strip Compact Fluorescent Light Fixture $82 shipped

or

20" 298W Metal Halide System (Electronic Version) - 504002

20" 298W Metal Halide System (Electronic Version) $170 shipped

I am poor and prefer to spend as little as possible but I want lighting that is good enough to upgrade my tank to support corals and clams why still providing the best viewing and power efficency. I have been told that since I dont run a canopy to go with the t5s but I need some input before I spend the cash. I also use a full glass hood if that makes a difference and I want as low an electric bill as possible.

2. Click Here!

3. Salty Marine

Well I was gonna wait for input but I went ahead and bought the 24' Nova Extreme 4x24W T5 HO w/2 Lunar since I also was buying a new glass canopy from thatfishplace anyways. I also thru in a Aqualight Power center and got it all shipped 3 day fedex saver for $235. I guess Santa will be coming to my house early this year.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That looks pretty nice and should work pretty well on a 44 gallon tank. Although is your tank 22" tall? If so, not a huge deal, put really give some thought to where you place things vertically within the aquarium.

And in my experience, not all clams are the same by a long shot, really do your homework if you want clams.. I borrowed this book from Gresham that was awesome. I think it's posted in the book board, let me see... nope (please write a review) , here it is:

Amazon.com: Giant Clams: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tridacnid Clams: Books: Daniel Knop

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I think that you will be happy with the t-5 system. I do agree with Matt about clams. I would really do homework on those buggers. I had one "happy" for almost one year under PC lighting and then one day it just died...

6. Salty Marine

Clams will be the last addition I make and may never even enter my tank depending what choices I make between then and now. As always I try and put a lot of effort in developing a preferred plan but I know that availability and impulse will cause me to revise it after every stocking choice. The 22x22x24 is LxWxH, My tank is 24" tall and I will post some pics when I get my Camera back so you can see it's progress.

Here is a picture of its shape: 44 Pentagon master kit

It's not an ideal tank but I will make up for it's shortcomings with effort and attention on my part.