2 Change or Not 2 Change

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by techno2, Nov 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

people do and people dont
    its just one of thoes things, I like to see what I can get away with and try things out like not skimming for instance.
    I dont run a skimmer (1yr and counting) but every one seems to agree that it is one of the more important peices of equiptment and I agree to some extent however I seem to have no problems in my tank. (as in nature each eco system is different) I have only 3 fish in a 55gl.
    To do water changes to me is a similar thing, some do weekly, some bi-weekly, monthly and so on, others not at all.

2. Click Here!

3. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

OK , You caught me.. guilty as charged..
    All good reasons on top of water pareameters.

Cheers

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I used to do weekly water changes. Now, my water parameters are stable and I am consistantly dosing with Mg, Ca and bicarb to keep my numbers up to par, so I decreased my WC to once monthly. So far, it has been five weeks. Fish are good. Corals are good. No algae. Numbers are good. I am going to do a small 10g WC (90g tank) here in the next few days to replenish some trace elements, but don't see the use in doing any more than that.

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I am a huge fan of W/Cs, even when my levels are good(which crossing my fingers will continue indefinetly) I am also a fan of large and frequent w/cs. I like to do about 30% or so every other week. To many THAT isn't large and to some thats HUGE. Taking 60 gals out every other week can be very tedious to some. I believe that the reef is constantly getting renewed by new water and in all reality never sees the "same" water again. Unless you do w/cs w/ water that is off from the current(SG temp and so on) then very large w/cs or constant ones are of more benefit than harm. With every fishkeeper or club or forum you will hear "I don't do w/cs" or "I haven't in months" and IME they are jus skating on thin ice. Look at all the tanks you have seen that are AMAZING, I guarantee they are doing regular w/cs. W/O sounding rude skipping w/cs is just lazy.

Good luck w/ or w/o water changes!!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  6. abraKADAV3R!

abraKADAV3R! Feather Duster

if im not correct it is a lil cheaper/easier to do water changes than its is to replace elements by dosing, and trial and error testing...depending on your bioload and size of aquarium...it also keeps your mind at ease for spikes on your params so you can sleep easy ;D;D;D