2 Bulb T5 & SPS

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Camkha1234, Jun 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

If you get the ATI bulbs, yes.

2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

4. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

For a Monti Cap or Digi... YES... only a 2 bulb T5 fixture will be fine. I know this because I actually had a digi under 2 T5's and it did wonderfully infact! It was almost all brown when I got it, and under my 2 T5's is colored up nice and bright green! BUT you would have to have it closer to the light. Mine was maybe 5 inches from the light... but then I wanted to get Acros.... that was a bad idea on my part. They browned out horribly and I had to ungrade to 4 T5's. Now I have an SPS dominated tank with a bunch of very high light requiring acros and I am getting fantastic results!! Coloring and growth is amazing! Monti caps and digis will be fine under 2 T5's.... even some birdsnests will be fine. Mine were, but the birdsnests need a little more light to stay pretty. They will still grow with only 2 T5s but they will lose some of their color. Get the digi and monti cap.. they will be fine, especially if you get ATI bulbs!

5. Camkha1234

I'll have it 6-7 inches from the surface. HollyG: What bulbs were you using?

6. Camkha1234

Are there any bulbs that are comparable to ATI's?

7. HollyG

When I had the 2 bulb T5's I was using crappy stock bulbs that came with the fixture. AquaticLife 10K and AquaticLife Actinic. I'm not sure what other bulb brands would messure up to ATI.. to tell you the truth I've only used AquaticLife and ATI bulbs... so I have no expereince with any other. I think if you were to go ATI a god combo would be a Blue Plus with an Aquablue Special. That would give you great PAR and your montis would look good and keep their color. If you want the light to look slightly more blue I would go with a Coral Plus with a Blue Plus.

8. Click Here!

9. Camkha1234

Do you think I could get away w/ stock bulbs for a little while?

10. jesmontb

jesmontb Flamingo Tongue

get ATI's trust me its worth it...your just gonna kill the monti if you dont.. get a coral plus and a blue plus and you will be fine with the monti, anything more and you will need the 4 bulb though. i understand if having money trouble with investing in new bulbs...but $40 for new bulbs is better than dead corals imo

11. HollyG

Yes, the stock bulbs will work as long as you can put the montis up higher 4-5 inches from the light should be fine. This is how I had my monti with the stock bulbs... and they were there for a good 2 months with improvment from what they looked like in the store. Then I upgraded to a 4 bulb so I could get acros :p They will be fine with the stock light, but the tank won't look as nice with the stock bulbs than if you were to get ATI bulbs. Definately worth the money! When you have the money to, get ATI bulbs. You will love them! :)

12. Camkha1234

I think I'll wait a bit until I get any SPS's. I'm probably going to end up buying the ATI's in a month or two. I can buy the Monti then. Thanks for the info, everyone!