2 bettas?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by 1.0reef, Apr 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

With this being the FW Fish sub forum, I would hope not.

2. Click Here!

3. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

good catch there;D

4. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

:LolLolLol

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i know i dont look at the forum's title... i read posts from the home page. only time i look at the forums is when im looking for info.

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

im not mistaking it for a marine betta which need at least a 90 gallon tank, freshwater bettas are often kept in tiny tanks, sure a 5.5 gallon is better for them compared to a little plastic cup but is still not quite sufficient. even though its freshwater compared to its size to the size of the tank if it was saltwater it would need at least a 30 gallon tank.

7. tattooedsoul87

tattooedsoul87 Coral Banded Shrimp

I dont know how much more "sufficient" you expect people to be. 5 gallons is way bigger then thoes 1/2 gallon bowls and betta tanks they sell. bettas are not very active, they just kinda float around and thats why they dont need huge tanks. you can buy a 20 gallon tank if you want for a betta but just because that is your opinion doesnt mean he cant keep one in his tank.

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Bettas do not need large tanks. In the wild, some live in shallow puddles in rice patties. Plus, bettas are not very active fish. I think 5.5 gallons is perfectly fine for one betta. Tiny plastic cups, however, are not.

10. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I think you just want to give this kid a hard time. In his other threads he was not listening to anyone's advice and being childish. This time, he is being a good aquarist and you are still shooting him down. What gives?

11. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

Bettas have an organ referred to as a "labyrinth" which is how they breathe. They must take gulps of air from the surface to survive in any amount of water. A 5 gallon tank with a filter and plants can easily and comfortably house a betta.

While I am not at all a fan of bettas being kept in TINY "betta bowls" they can and will live in these for years, too. However, they will do better in at least 5-10 gallons. At least, they look prettier being able to fan their fins out, and are more enjoying to watch.

While it's not wrong to put a betta in a larger tank, they don't "need" it.

Oh, but don't put two in a tank. Especially that small. Get a pygmy cory cat that will be a bottom feeder and eat the leftover food for the betta. They don't get over 1/2" and will fit in nicely in that tank.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  12. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

ok i will try to find one and i know about the organ!:) don't arapaima's have it to?