2/3 of my tank drained

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by KillaKawi450, Apr 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sacohen

Sacohen Bristle Worm

Sorry about your situation.
    If all the fish are OK you'll be fine.
    LR is usually shipped out of water with just wet paper towels or newspaper on top of it to keep some water on it.
    2 hours out of water should be no problem.

I personally think that a controller is a bit overkill for a FOWLR tank.
    Even if you had a controller on this setup I don't see how it would of helped. If the hose came of the canister than it came off the canister the only thing that a controller could have possibly done would be to send you a text message or e-mail that your overflow or water on the floor sensor was triggered.
    I maybe mistaken because I don't own a controller and don't have a lot of experience with them yet.

I'm sure if I'm wrong it will be pointed out here.

For under $10 you could get a Zircon Leak Alert Electronic Water Detector which will sound an alarm wherever you place that detector (in the basement in this case) and since you were just out in the backyard working I'm sure you or someone else in the house would have heard it and investigated.

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

If it weren't for Bad Luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

I'm so broke, I can't even pay attention.

There, I hope that cheered you up some.

IMHO- you con't need all that extra stuff, the tap water used once for WC, unless extreme, shouldn't really harm anything much.

4. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

That's why I mentioned a simple overflow switch in sump and/or tank. Cause a controller is overkill for a fowlr. But a sensor on floor does shut down all your pumps if u want.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

+1 to your point on the LR being fine out of water for a couple hours.

However, what most controllers can do is be connected to either level sensors or floats. When water level rises too high, they can shut off ATO pumps, return pumps, etc. When they get too low, again shut off return pumps, sounds an alarm, etc. I have a float in my overflow box that will shut off the return pump if it ever fails to siphon. Soon, I will also have a low float indicating loss of water.

But the easiest detector is a cheap water sensor alarm as you mentioned. There are a couple of styles. I have one that just detects water, and another that has two contacts, one meant to stay wet, another meant to stay dry. Obviously this will alarm on either overflow or loss of water.

6. KillaKawi450

KillaKawi450 Astrea Snail

LOL. I heard that. We are obviously in the same lucky boat.

Thanks for the replies.
    I will definitely be looking into all of these options. I did not even know all of this technology existed when it came to aquariums.
    I sure still have alot to learn and alot more to buy.

7. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

That's great that your fish are fine,so I guess your rock was not out of water long enough to create a problem.I suggested using a skimmer and biopellet reactor only as I think that is what I would do with a large FOWLR system.My reason being good water quality with less water changes and the ability to keep a larger,well fed bioload.Just my.02 and something to consider for the future.

8. Click Here!

9. Sacohen

Sacohen Bristle Worm

There's always more to buy. The trick is to learn if you need it or not.
    Like and others have said a controller is overkill for a FOWLR tank, but if you have money to blow then consider it.

Or send it my way. :)

10. KillaKawi450

KillaKawi450 Astrea Snail

If I hit the lottery I will be sure to send everyone who has helped me one :)

I bought a lot of salt and some ammonia lock today just in case I have any more emergencies.
    I came home today and everything seems to be ok for now. My fish seem happy again.
    Is there any other way to test nitrate, ammonia levels etc. without using test strips.
    I have a test strip kit but was just curious if there was some kind of meter or alarm that would alert you if something spiked.

11. Sacohen

Sacohen Bristle Worm

KillaKawi450 I just got an e-mail about this item.
    It may be perfect for you since a controller is overkill for your tank.
    Digital Aquatics Lifeguard v2.0

I don't think it is released yet.
    Marine Depot is taking pre-orders for it.

12. 3lilbrats

3lilbrats Feather Duster

Test strips or test kits? If you use test kits I will suggest you use a good quality test kit. Test kits are more way accurate that test strip.