2 175w on a 55gal

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Daleyjdan, Oct 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daleyjdan

Daleyjdan Astrea Snail

Should I hang them? Do I have to hang them? They are 12 by 12" so how high from the water would you recommend hanging them? Would I need a fan in each fixture

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I used to have mine in a hood about 8" above the water line. As long as you have good cooling on the lights, heat should be no issue.

If you don't use a fan on each of the fixtures, you will most likely need one blowing on the tank itself.

4. Daleyjdan

Daleyjdan Astrea Snail

Okay thanks, what kind of fan could I have blowing on the tank itself because that would be a lot easier, also what kind of top do you reccomend for my tank? Should I use acrylic of eggcrate or somthing

5. Daleyjdan

Daleyjdan Astrea Snail

Also, how far apart on a 4 foot tank should I space them? Thanks in advanced

6. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Sorry I missed the followup questions....

As for the fan.. Any standard clip on fan will work perfectly. Can be had for $10 at Wal-mart. You could spend more for something that looks better, but most people don't.

As for the spacing.. Each Halide bulb normally covers a 2' square area, depending on your reflector of course. If you space them 2 feet from each other, centered in the tank, it should cover everything well. I would start there and see how it looks. You may find that you want to move then a little closer to center. This would leave you a little dark on the very upper edges, but this is a very minor issue for most.