1yr new, still learning....

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by tara, Mar 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Welcome to 3reef!

+1 to Diverdan. Is it still going to be FW or are you converting it to SW?

2. Click Here!

3. tara

tara Astrea Snail

Yes its fresh

4. tara

tara Astrea Snail

Saltwater scares me, I need to learn ALOT more b4 I get into that.

5. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I don't have much fw experience but helped friends and clients with theirs so I will help with what I can. I do believe that a quarantine set up is mainly for salt (might be wrong and someone please correct me if I am.) the main thing you want to worry about with fresh is that you keep everything consistent. So a heater that is big enough for your tank that will keep it constant and a good filter. You don't have to do as many water changes as salt but monthly is better than every 6 months. Adequate lighting for a planted tank is recommended (t-5 lighting is perfect). Do not overstock the tank. It is recommended at 1" of fish per gallon (research I came across a whole ago and don't remember the source). Do not over feed. That is one of the biggest reasons people have problems keeping fish alive. To much food decays and also more fish waste. That is mainly what I can think of off the top of my head. Hope this helps a little.

6. tara

tara Astrea Snail

Im pretty sure I was overfeeding before, BC of the fish I had. One fat 2inch goldfish with jelly brains he was a pig! then the two handicapped fish, black moore,, hard for him to see the food n chase it, then the golden dojo loach, wich I dont think shouldve been in there anyway, but he had a swimbladder problem.
    I will be trying to practice much restraint on future feedings ;)
    Were looking into led lighting, not sure if its what I want?
    I think I might replace the one heater n go with two smaller ones.
    The qt tank, I didnt want to mess with at first, and been told once thst its not necessary, but the more I think about it, I think id rather be able to make sure the fishes are not sick and going to contaminate my whole main tank, and also if they get sick in the.future, it did help me b4 to have my 1.5gal tank to quarantine, I saved my black moores life a number of times in it.
    And I still have no clue at this point what kind of fish I want.

7. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Do you know what I think would be pretty cool? An iwagumi style tank ;)

8. Click Here!

9. tara

tara Astrea Snail

Oh, I forgot I had two filters in before I started cycling, just took one out yesterday, I dont want too much filtering in order to cycle right?
    I think I may want to put a rush on new heaters cuz im assuming temp fluctuations wont help the cycle?

10. tara

tara Astrea Snail

Eh? What that?

11. tara

tara Astrea Snail

Ok I looked it up, that is pretty freakin cool ;) ill put it in my future list, for now since im just learning, and im a slow learner, im trying to keep it as simple as possible ;)
    Tho my husband says he wants to get a huge tank if I get this figured out, I think hes nuts! But would be awsome ;)

12. tara

tara Astrea Snail

Why do my profile pics keep comming up sideways? Annoying..

1 person likes this.