1st water change after cycle (How much)

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by NYGiants, May 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NYGiants

NYGiants Coral Banded Shrimp

Ok just tested paramaters today and excited to say 0 Amonia 0 Nitrites !!!

Ive heard about doing a partial water change once the cycle is complete before you add any fish. I plan on doing the water change tomorrow and adding my first fish on Saturday!

72 gallon + 15 gallon sump (75% full) also 80lbs of live rock / sand so say 65 gallons +10 gallons = roughly 75-80 gallons total water volume.

How many gallons should I swap out?

2. Click Here!

3. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

I would say 10 - 20% water change wouldn't hurt. Just my opinion, not sure if there is a definite answer to that question though.

4. NYGiants

Oh ok for some reason I was thinking along the lines of 15-20... Any other opinions?

5. NYGiants

wait should I be doing a water change at all if my tank looks like it just finished it cycling? or did I just make that part up? also if I should do the water change how long after ammonia and nitrites showing 0 do I do the change?

6. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

I would get into the normal weekly water change of about 10 - 15% but it really depends on your system IMO. You could start with a small cleanup crew and small water changes. If anything small water changes will help the system, after the cleanup crew is settled in you could probably add some livestock. Do you have any pics of the tank?