1st post (yippie), problem w/clown

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by unknown, Dec 2, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unknown

unknown Plankton

1st I'd like to take a moment to give thanks to those who have established this wonderful corpulent of information.

With that being said on to the situation at hand, I have a 55 gal tank, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, calc 440 , pH 8.4 and I like to keep the temp 77-80. The tank kas been etsablished for 6 months and roughly 2 weeks ago I added a Percula clownfish. Everything seems fine, he is eating well and all types of food but over the past 2 days I have noticed his left eye is beginning to bulge out and wondered if anyone could chime in and tell me why they think this is happening?

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Well I think this is a water problem. Do you use RO/DI water?
    When was the last water change?
    I think it is called pop eye and you may need to do several water changes in the coming days. I will wait for the combined knowledge of the MOD's here to bring more information on this sad illness.

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Try this link Fish disease

If it helpful let us know what conclusions it gave you. We may be able to come up with a product of short cut to help the little guy.

J

5. unknown

unknown Plankton

My guess was water quality as well, did a 50% change today. I will just keep an eye (no pun intended) on it.

Also, only RO h20 is being used.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I second the 'popeye' diagnosis. Do a search here and on yahoo for 'popeye disease fish.'

You may have to treat it.   :-/

7. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

8. Click Here!

9. unknown

unknown Plankton

Joe,

Nice reading you posted, also, it has me believing that it is minor eye trauma. My 2 Tangs like to chase each other and I would not be surprised if this is just a by-product of that behavior.

10. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

It could be popeye but there is another possibility, Do you or the lfs that you bought the little guy from inject air bubbles into the water column (tank)? Also how long was the fish at the lfs? I have seen air get trapped behind the eye and have it look like popeye but it clears itself. I noticed it in fish that have been recently transhipped in (possiblly a product of reoxygenation during shipping) I had it happen to a Tang in my own tank when a DAS (Dutch aquarium system piece of junk) Tank pumped the bubbles from the downdraft airstone protien skimmer into the tank. A lfs that I mangaed had it happen with fish from sinagpore. If it is an airpocket it will work its way out naturally. But fish has limited veiw so we need to watch the little guy.

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Nothing to add, but second the two possible diagnoses of popeye and air trapped behind the eye,. Let's hope its the latter.

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Is "unknown" your preferred username?  If not you can go to your Profile and edit.  Just curious!