1st post in new MH forum

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by steve wright, Jul 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Thank you Patrick

I was up at 6 am today
    and have now got the frame on the tank
    wanted to do this before lights come on

it means unplugging everying
    taking the HOB skimmer off
    clearing the tank of everything such as doser lines, chiller return etc
    placing frame on

then putting everything back

it went 95% well

the 5% negative is that whilst relocating the skimmer, my painted black background sheet, got pushed off!

to replace it would mean 80% emptying the tank, moving it forward, re sticking and then moving back

decided not to bother about it and just enjoy the new lighting
    I think I will leave it to the coralline to cover the back panel for me eventually

Steve

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  4. steve wright

This image may help to display the difference
    the 4ft tank next to the 5ft is lit with 6 x 54 watt T5 lamps
    of exactly the same brand and type (Geisseman aquablue 14k x 4 and power chrome 22k x 2) - the 5ft had same combo, only 80 watt versions

[​IMG]

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

That is quite the shimmer.

So how do you like it?

For some reason I thought it was going to be in addition to the T5. I see the difference in a blue hue with the T5 compared to the bright white of the MH.

The FTS are awesome.

6. steve wright

Like it so far Cheryl

I am going to be cutting up the T5 canopy eventually, and getting the ballasts, lamps and reflectors out of it

Ill then use the materials salvaged to make a couple of single T5 reflectors

Ill then run a couple of the 22k T5 lamps (1 front, 1 back) in addition to the MH, so I can have a bit more blue, and also get the dawn dusk period back

Steve

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

What a great tank Steve!
    I don't think 12 inches is too high with what you have going on. My one suggestion would be to consider a dark tapestry on the wall behind the tank to cut that glare down from the white wall. I did this on my old 30 long:
    [​IMG]
    It is not for everybody but it helped. FWIW

matt

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. LukeSchnabel

LukeSchnabel Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Great idea for the lights. Have you noticed any rise in temp? And how are you going to enclose them?

Running my tank with full on 2x250 MH makes the water almost too white looking so to keep it "aqua" I always have the 2 blue T5s running. I just now, after having the lights for 2 months have the MH on 10 hrs a day.

I'm thinking of increasing my lights to 8"-10" over the water, I have plans to have it all under a canopy I'll be making. What would be a good way to design this using wood. I'm guessing a U design that would sit atop the tank that flips open on the front.

10. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

Looks good! However you may need a welders mask to do your tank maintenance!

11. steve wright

Thank you Luke
    I monitored the chiller during the couple of hours lights where on Sunday
    and I did notice it took a bit longer to go down from 26 to 24.9 than it would have done under the T5 , but not so long as it concerned me

I may not enclose them to be honest, as allowing that heat to escape is important

I may place a couple of sheets of polished aluminum to cover most of the front gap - my reason for doing this would be to protect the eyes of my children who are at a height in which when they stand in front of tank, if they look upwards, then these lights may cause them issues

Thank you 4phish

maintenance is easier in most cases
    water change done Sunday with frame on, no problem nothing to move when removing or adding water

the only slight inconvenience is that, I would have to remove light units, in order to remove skimmer to clean (Not the cup, that just lifts off)
    but the skimmer inlet and return, would get trapped on top rim of frame, so in order to remove it, I would have to lift skimmer, slide frame up and forward slightly, and then lift skimmer clear
    no big deal, I only do this a few times per year anyway.

12. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale