1st crack at homemade food

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Reef Queen, Oct 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef Queen

Reef Queen Feather Duster

Hey guys, so i thought i would try my hand at making my own frozen food last night...i couldnt find most of the ingedients i was looking for (geletin, nori, and spirulina...no clue where to get the last 2, looked in 4 stores,and the 1st i didnt know what kind to get...im assuming unflavored but couldnt find it) so basically what i did was take a load of table shrimp, spinach, tilipia and cod fillets, ORA glow, prime reef flakes, some Zoecon, Entice, and threw it all in some RO/Di water...then i had some fun with the blender!! then i went into the freezer to grab some ice cube trays and...crap...i forgot we pitched them after we got the new fridge with the icemaker...so i found a dish that worked and threw it in the freezer overnight. Next day i had i stinky frozen mass that seemed gross enough for fish to enjoy haha, so i chipped a piece off,and horray!! everyone ate it all up...even my brain was enjoying it...im going to keep try to find my missing ingredients, but for now everyone seems happy with this slop haha!

[​IMG]

And yes that a big piece of fish skin...it didnt blend for some reason so i left it in there thinking that the tastiest part of chicken is the skin IMO so its like a chicken skin treat for the fish...only grosser lol (if you havnt noticed i hate fish...i mean eating it...i love live fish, duh...but i hate eating/touching/smelling dead fish...bleh!!)

2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

hey it looks just like the rods stuff i buy. great job

4. Reef Queen

Thank you! i didnt think i did too shabby for my 1st time lol. hopefully the next batch will turn out even better...if i can find all the stuff i need!

P.S. i LOVE your tank...it has inspired me to eventually get a zero edge of my own...after i upgrade the 120 i think i will upgrade the biocube to a zeroedge...they seem like they would make perfect touch tanks for small rays and such

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

Thank you.yes great for a touch tank. one downfall to the zero edge is... like with every open toped tank you have to either pick fish that aren't jumpers or cover it when your not around.

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Looks good accept for the freshwater Tilapia. Farmed Tilipia is not a good choice at all. They raise the FW fish on grain 99% of the time which translates into the fish actually having more saturated fat then a hamburger! The cod is an EXCELLENT choice in terms of nutritional value (any idea which cod though? PAC or ATL?).

1 person likes this.
  7. Reef Queen

Oh then i am glad i only used about 1/3 of a small fillet of the tilapia (for some reason i was thinking it was saltwater, even though i know perfectly well it isnt...im a blonde therefor i have blonde moments lol) ok so ill ditch the tilapia next time, and i have no clue which cod it is...whatever oceans cod is cheapest hahaha!!!

8. Click Here!

9. jeffers0n

jeffers0n Feather Duster

I mix a whole bunch of fish foods, vitamins, garlic, and a lot others in a cofee grinder. Then i put it in eggcrate. The eggcrate is on a cookie sheet. Then it freezes, and in a few hours its ready to go.

1 person likes this.
  10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I didn't look at your profile/location... its gotta be ATL cod :D PAC cod is not cheap... $12+ a pound or so if you can find it.

11. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

The egg crate is a great idea. I tried making my own food about a month ago but didnt work out too well. I ended up with some that was blended to much and some big chunks. I use it once a weed to feed corals. Works much better for them than the fish.

12. jeffers0n

jeffers0n Feather Duster

Yeah, the eggcrate provides nice, neat little cubes of custom fish food, my fish love it. 8)