1st Attempt on 20H Sump Build

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Fish76, Jun 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Just single sheet. As mentioned, I have the height of water in both sumps between 1-3" less than the height of the glass, so there is barely any pressure on them. I even had one side filled and the other empty (probably only holding 8-10 gallons, but it was just a test) and it held just fine for 48 hours. I did the same with the other side, except the level was only 6" high or so, and again it held just fine for 48 hours.

2. Click Here!

3. Fish76

Fish76 Fire Worm

So I am now contemplating doing a 29gal instead of the 20H since its a bit longer. It'll fit in my 65gal tank stand but only if I install it from the top of the stand, so once the 65gal is on top, I won't be able to take it out. Is this a smart idea or asking for trouble down the road?

4. Meanie

Meanie Spaghetti Worm

My current system is a 30G with a 10G sump. I can get the sump out from the back if I needed to, but it's been over a year and a half and I have never had to remove the sump for any reason. the only reason I can see you wanting to remove it would be if it started to leak, you decided you wanted a bigger sump, or if you wanted to add another chamber to the sump.

I am currently building a 55G setup. I had the DT drilled last night and I started on my sump/refugium also last night. I am also using the thin glass from Lowes. I am using it in a 20L. I have the first 2 pieces of the bubble trap installed I will install the last piece of the bubble trap and a single piece for the refugium side tonight.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I believe a lot of people do this. I did it myself by stuffing a 30 gallon sump under my 55. No chance it will come out unless I drained the 55 and took it out the back, but I don't see any reason I would have needed to.