1st Attempt on 20H Sump Build

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Fish76, Jun 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I should add into this though. When you start adding equipment you need to take into consideration the GPH and headloss/ pressure loss are you start adding in more complex plumbing.

2. Click Here!

3. Fish76

Fish76 Fire Worm

Ok, cool thanks. I think if I run the reactor, I'll just run off the Eheim 1262, hopefully it will be enough flow. I really didn't want to add another pump, since I'll have the return and skimmer pump in there already.

4. Fish76

Fish76 Fire Worm

I went to the local HD and they had glass sheets in 3/32" thickness. Do you think this will be ok for baffles? The size will perfectly fit in my 20H. I was thinking if it's too thin, would it be ghetto to silicone two sheets together to make it 3/16" thick? Where I live I don't have much selection for glass, so my choices are very limited.

5. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

That stuff is WAY too thin! You should really considering using glass at least as thick as the glass the tank is made of as a general rule of thumb. If HD/Lowes don't have any that thick call a local glass shop. I really recommend that from go because they can also polish the edges of the glass and help ensure you don't slice yourself open. I learned this the hard way. You also don't want to glue two pieces together. Any little separation is room for water to seep in as create pressure between them, then your really back at two pieces to thin and breaking. HD/Lowes sells .220 (1/4) plexi which you can also use, just get them between 1/8 ad 1/4 inches less wide than your glass and use copious amounts of silicon. Yes there are a lot of threads about you cant use glass & acrylic and silicon, yes you can. On a smaller tank like that you'll be just fine, you just need to use plenty of silicon and or weather stripping. I used acrylic/silicon and weather stripping in my 20L that was a sump for 75g main for over two years without problems.

6. Fish76

Fish76 Fire Worm

Like I was saying, very limited selection of places to go. You don't want to know how much I was quoted at a local shop to cut basic 1/4" glass.... I even looked online but prices/shipping are pretty high.

Yeah I was reading against this, but it would be much easier if I could! Good to know yours was good for 2yrs. I was just afraid of bowing with plexiglass, but maybe 1/4" would be ok.

7. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I used the 1/4 stuff from the hardware store. if bowing is a concern put a perpendicular piece the in middle between the baffles, but I never had to. Like I said just be generous with the silicon and give plenty (like days) of dry time.

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

It is fine. I used them in two of my sump builds. Fact is, if you keep your return section high enough, they will hardly see any pressure at all! The only concern would be if one side was full and the other almost empty. I used them for my 40 long sump/frag tank and my 29 sump.

10. Fish76

Fish76 Fire Worm

Did you double up the 3/32" or use just a single sheet of 3/32?

11. Fish76

Fish76 Fire Worm

Ok, so finally got to draw what I think I want to build.

This first one is just two chambers since I'm not going to do a refugium or anything like that:

[​IMG]

This second pic is if I do an ATO chamber in the sump. The ATO section has a calculated volume of a little over 2 gallons.

[​IMG]

So here's some of my questions:

1. Is there a general height above the return pump suction that the 3rd baffle (7" baffle) of the bubble trap needs to be at? My Eheim pump is 4-1/2" high (total) where suction is somewhere in the middle of the pump. So right now it is 2-1/2" below the 3rd baffle height (top of pump to top of 3rd baffle).
    2. Does the return chamber need to be a certain min width or can it be just enough to squeeze in the pump?
    3. Is there a general rule of thumb that the height difference between the 1st baffle height and the 3rd baffle height of the bubble trap needs to be? As you can see, mine is a 1" difference.
    4. Do I need that last baffle on the bubble trap? I've seen sump designs with either three baffles and two baffles for the bubble trap.

I'm still trying to locate a place that I can get 1/4" glass for a reasonable price. If not, I may just to plexi-glass or use the 3/32" glass....

12. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Skip the ATO chamber there are many ways easier to do it imo. I mean even like the BRS 1 gal slim form jugs would work, sure they are only 1g, but your at area is only 2g.