1st Attempt on 20H Sump Build

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Fish76, Jun 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

You might want to consider dividing your sump into three chambers in case you decide you would like a fuge sometime in the future.The first chamber could be for input and also your skimmer.This would also be a good time to consider using ATO,with evaporation showing up as a varying level in your return pump section it soon could become a nuisance keeping the water level sufficient for your pump.The ATO resevior does not necessarily have to be in the stand,just thinking you might be working with a 36"x18" stand and space might be a problem.

2. Click Here!

3. electric-dan

electric-dan Astrea Snail

tagging along i would love to make my own sump

4. Fish76

Fish76 Fire Worm

mmm...interesting, it is very tight under there with a 20H and electronic stuff. So maybe making three chambers (1st skimmer/input, 2nd return, 3rd RO reserve topoff)? I've never thought about that, but sounds like an idea! I'll have to look into this, thanks!

5. Jagerblunt

Jagerblunt Astrea Snail

well if you have a chiller or have low enough temps I would run a separate pump for your reactors.. another pump will add more heat to your system, or you can run an over powered pump and then tee off it... I wouldn't want to sacrifice my flow rates.. just my 2 cents.

6. Fish76

Fish76 Fire Worm

Well, that's basically my question, is my Eheim 1262 enough to have good return flow as well as run through my reactors.

7. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

here is a pic of my 20 gallon high sump i installed today. going to put my reactor on the right side. i use a sock and get no bubbles from it. i also run and aquaripure nitrate filter. that is the pump in the middle front for it.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

FWIW, I'm no help on the sump info. but I run phosguard and carbon in filter socks in a HOB. Phosguard unlike GFO does not require a tumble nor does carbon. I think you could put them in your sump where flow is good rather than needing a reactor.

10. Fish76

Fish76 Fire Worm

Where did you get that filter sock holder? Also, is that blue tubing with the ball valve (next to filter sock) your ATO sys? I was thinking to have a line straight from my drinking RO water tank to fill my sump as the return chamber gets low. I would have two solenoid valves (second as backup if first fails) hooked up to a Reef Angel controller to open the valves using the Reef Angel water level expansion module. I was also thinking to add a third backup, a float valve (something like this Float Valve). Think it's overkill?

Yup, I will run both Seachem Phosguard and Carbon, just not sure if it will be in a sock or in one reactor. I'm thinking the reactor cause I'll probably have to clean that sock like every week?

11. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

the sock and holder is from cpr. the blue line is for the nitrate filter. my ro water is in the basement so i just have it heated to the correct temp and dump in. i think the simple is best as long as it works. so many things are overkill out there.

12. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

There is no need to buy seperate pumps for your reactors and returns. First each pump adds heat. Next each pump adds to you electric bill. Add in everything mechanical has a chance to break or a chance for stray voltage. When you talk big tanks where people are running external pumps like reeflo's that create 5500 gph do you think their sump is full of mag3's running reactors? no. They build manifolds and run it off the return. A manifold is basically a connected series of T lines where you drop down leg of the T have a ball valve or gate valve to direct flow into that seperate piece of equipment. My 225 I am looking at maybe a reeflo snapper or goby which will manifold to a BP reactor, carbon reactor, Algae scrubber, extra line for water changes, and return lines of course.