1998 ford explorer V8 all time 4x4

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Peredhil, Sep 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Hey you 3reef gearheads ;D

I'm looking at buying one of these. I don't really know much about 4x4 - the closest I've ever owned is my BMW X3 with its all wheel drive traction control magic. not quite the same thing 8)

Anyway, the dude is a neighbor. The truck has about 86000 miles on it. So, pretty good there. I will take it to a mechanic to get checked out of course. I can probably get it for $4k.

He says it's full time 4x4 locked. Says it's the only year like that. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. I won't be going cross-country in it. Hour drives back and forth from property + on the property.

But what do you think about these?

I plan to use it on my property. Going through woods and across a meadow that is sandy and very overgrown, but very dry. Weekend warrior truck.

Will most likely want to pull a trailer with a boat or a tractor from time to time as well.

This a good truck?

2. Click Here!

3. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

I don't know much about that years model but the early to mid 90s explorers were very top heavy. My parents had a 94 4x4 and I used to take it out in the desert in Arizona and hitting rutts and bumps was like being on a ship in some bad seas. I didnt care for the off road capabilites of that 94 my parents had, but my 03 Ranger is a beast when it comes to offroad.

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Explorers are lousy tow vwhicles i sold mine when i started doing a lot of pulling and got a regular truck

5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I would probably look around for an actual truck. Then you can throw more crap in the back, especially if you plan to be using it off road and a utility vehicle on your land.

6. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Don't bother buddy.. I had a 1996 Ford Explorer 4x4. Up until 2000 models from 95-99 had massive transmission issues, dubbing them Ford Exploders!! Since that's what the trannys do before 100,000 miles.. I also have a good friend in the transmission repair business.

On my 96 Explorer I changed the trans fuild at 75,000 miles. It was black & you could scoop the metal power in the pan on the magnet. At 95,000 it wouldn't go into 3nd gear. I brought it back to have the transmission looked at again. The fluid was JET black, smelt burnt, & transmission was cooked. $2100.00 to rebuild it & that was discounted! At 125,000 miles the transmission started to slip again, I traded the truck in.

7. ComputerJohn

Also, last to my knowedge 1995-99 Explorers we automatic 4x4, meaning the 4x4 will kick in when needed. You can select to turn the 4x4 on by hitting the Auto/4x4 High/4x4 Low button.

The Mercury version of the Explorer was AWD, meaning the 4x4 is on all the time & can not be turned off. Note, AWD trucks will burn much more fuel.

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

As for a truck, I own a 2005 Dodge RAM 1500 Quadcab & yes it has a 5.7 Hemi. Plenty of power, drives & handles GREAT, as for towing I have towed 26' boats & towed a 1973 Chevelle from Jupiter, FL back to Massachusetts without a single issue on a car trailer.

1 person likes this.
  10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I bought a '93 in that year and drove it until last month. I towed with it, it was my hunting vehicle, it was what took us places when the SD snow's where blowing and the highways were in bad shape. Just don't hit anything...

RIP Ford...
    '93 Ford Explorer vs. Nissan SUV head on
    [​IMG]

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

My 91 had transmission issues too, so I think it goes back further than 95. Lost 2nd gear around 110,000 miles. Never had a vehicle do that before or since.

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Alright everyone, thanks! I think I'm going to stick to my original plan of getting a 4x4 pickup of some sort. I'll pass on this.