193 gallon plywood build thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by horkn, Jun 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

For the 45's I will use hardwood 2x4's ripped on a table saw.

I got the top glued and screwed on yesterday. Now I can work on the 45's and the stand.

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Looking good so far. :)

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

c'mon we need updates

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

we need updates! :D

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I was thinking i needed to update this thread. :)
    I finished "framing" the front panel with the 45's, and got a couple of the very tricky side 45's double angles figured out. These 45's are held in place with gorilla glue. I can't believe how long it took to razor blade off the excess gorilla glue so the 45's would fit tight in the corners. The front top piece had a little flex to it before the small 3/4" 45 trim piece was glued in, and afterward it has a lot less flex. I would never have guessed that little trim piece would give so much strength. After I fiberglass the corners and epoxy the whole tank, this thing will be so solid.

I also got about half of the 2x4's and 2x6's ripped for the stand.

I will do a lot more work on it today, and I will post up pictures too.

1 person likes this.
  7. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Nice. Looking foreward to the pics.

8. Click Here!

9. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

I just tried to post but it got eaten :(

In a nutshell: Awesome work you have given me a ton of food for thought, can't wait to see the beast finished. What are you going with for the exterior finish?

10. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

Thats great. But when you post pics can you please get some shots of these corners you are talking about.

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Like this? ;)

Ok, here are the pics...

I finished the 45's today, and got most of the stand cuts done, but I have to assemble the stand, and then finish opening the hole in the wall up a bit more for the stand and tank.

Here is a pic of a tricky piece joining the sides to the front and back 45 borders
    [​IMG]

45's done showing the front inside right side of the tank
    [​IMG]

The other side before I got the piece in place that joins the front and the back..

[​IMG]

An inside lower corner..
    [​IMG]

The tank with a lot of stuff in it. I had to use clamps and pieces of wood to hold the 45's in place while the gorilla glue set up.
    [​IMG]

The 2x6 top frame of the stand. I assembled the bottom 2x4 section of the stand, and attached a couple legs, but I got tired, my cordless drill battery was out of charge, The sun was all the way down, and I got a blister on my left palm from all the drilling and driving of deck screws today. That was enough of a message to tell me to quit for today.

[​IMG]

Farley had fun in his pool today:)

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I should get the stand built, and maybe I will get some fiberglass matting down in the corners. I might just start filling in the screw holes with bondo and getting the basement wall prepped fro the stand and tank though.

12. LVsuckerfish

LVsuckerfish Fire Shrimp

instead of bondo look into kitty hair it is a fiberglass type bondo adhesive I used it when I worked on cars now I estimate dmg on cars. applies better and last longer. just a thought.