193 gallon plywood build thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by horkn, Jun 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

Hey Horkn,
    What USComposites epoxy did you go with? Slap me if I missed it.

I was checking them out VS TAP, curious to get your thoughts once the coating starts.

2. Click Here!

3. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

That is going to be something else.. NICE

I know you to far along in the build.. but.
    It would have been nice to cut a circle in each end and made them look like " Port Holes "
    You could look thru the port holes and looked like you really underwater..

Man you doing a fine job.. Can't wait to see more..

Good Luck, Larry

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I think it is called the 635 epoxy with the medium hardener. I got the ratio rite pumps and some fiberglass tape to throw in the seams.

Hmm, I thought about making it 3 sides viewable, or even 1 short end viewable, but decided against it.

5. madlarkin

I had looked into the 635 w/ the fast kicker and I know a number of folks have gone with West Systems Marine they sell, I have a feeling that with the fast-cure should work nicely. The plan was to run Knytex tape in the corners, did you go with a woven or matt glass tape?

Im sold on the 3-sided viewable, the big question is will enough space be available to go peninsula. I think the design should work out and keep everything nice and stable.

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I went with woven FG tape for the corners, like 3" IIRC.

I went with the US composites because several guys have used this for their boat repairs on a correct craft site. West Sytems is good but no better than any other brand and much more $$.

On to more work progress..

Ok, 4th of July is over, now on to banging the tank out.

I got a bunch of pics of what i am cutting out for the overflows, and on the eurobrace top. I also sanded most of the pieces so I can glue and screw the front on to the tank. Once I cut out the overflow openings, I can attach the eurobrace/ top.

The epoxy arrives Tomorrow, so I won't have to wait for that once I get the 45's done, and the front and top attached.

Here are some pics for now of what I want to cut out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am doing 2 overflow "slots" feeding the single central overflow. Both overflow slots are 9.75" I am leaving a 2" pice in the middle for a centerbrace if needed.

Now I plan on making the slots 2" deep, and using acrylic pieces with teeth cut into them to keep fish and other critters out. I think with 2" deep troughs, that I will have enough room to play with the water level, and still not have it be intrusive. The best part is that the overflow box is on the back of the tank, so it won't tale up any inner tank space.
    I will get a pic of where I will propose to cut the slots out...

7. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

Looks great. I have been thinking about makeing a woody. 1 question thow. Has anyone done a fiberglass tank Using a tight fiber glass mat and resin. Just curious if it would be safe for the fish? I have made sub boxes out of the stuff and they are defenetly air tight so I am sure it could hold water pretty well.

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Well, my friend AJ came over and helped me out with the front wood piece. I then kept rolling on the tank after getting some exercise and got the cut outs done on both the overflow troughs on the back of the tank, and the cutouts for the overflow on the eurobrace/ top.

here is a pic of the overflow "troughs" from the tank.
    [​IMG]

here is a picture from a little higher up, showing the troughs and the cutouts fro the overflow in back
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic from the back of the tank with the eurobrace/ top screwed on for locating purposes.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic with a few screws in the top, but no glue yet. I do have all the screw holes pre drilled though.
    [​IMG]

I was able to square the tank up with the top, It took a little persuasion with the clamps but I got it almost perfectly lined up all around.

View from the other side..
    [​IMG]

And now I need another box O' screws. Aj and I accidentally used 1 for every 2" on the front panel instead of the 1 for every 3" as recommended. Oops. LOL Just more screw holes to fill in with bondo. ;)
    We managed to not get any gorilla glue where it was not supposed to be, today at least.

[​IMG]

and the final shot for tonight....

[​IMG]

The epoxy and fiberglass tape was delivered today.

Now I need to make the 45's for the corners.

1 person likes this.
  10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Infantry, Fiberglass resin is not reef safe. You could easily just substitute the fiberglass resin for epoxy and it would be reef safe. Or you could just use sweetwater epoxy paint over the fiberglass resin and be reef safe as well.

Fwiw, fiberglass resin is not 100% water tight. It will breathe a little and allow water in to the resin. That issue alone is why fiberglass polyester resin is not used on boats anymore, but epoxy resin is.

2 people like this.
  11. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

great thanks, thats the exact answer I was looking for.

12. madlarkin

Amazing looking craftsmanship, bud. I can't wait to see this thing with the epoxy and glass in. What are you using for the 45*'s in the corner?