193 gallon plywood build thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by horkn, Jun 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat.

yuuummmmyyy!

2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

It will get there soon:)

4. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

Sounds like a hell of a weekend. I was stuck in Philly with the fiance meeting the future extended in-laws.
    Did get to check out the Adventure Aquarium though, was pretty damn sweet.

Any idea when you will have the epoxy on and the glass going in?

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I should be epoxying next week, hopefully at worst the week after that.

Glass will be in days after the epoxy is done.

I am moving on this because I don't know how much free time I will have in a month.

6. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Hmmm, Not a huge Leinies fan, decent but not mind blowing...

I got my dad The Bohemian Lager by New Galarus for dad's day and THAT was a nice beer, hoppy but not overly bitter.... Just a good overall beer, not cheap though 4 pack for 8.99, not something I would be drinking all the time, heck I drink four beers with dinner!;D

Keep up the good work Tom, tank looks sweet... Can't wait to see it, maybe this sunday!

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I am around this weekend for sure.

Are you coming to AJ's going away partay?

8. Click Here!

9. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I will be there at least for a little while... Hannah's party is saturday and have a ridiculous amount of things to do on friday.

10. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

How goes the monster? Any updates?

I have an idea of how I am going to do the 3 sided viewable system, but I have no idea if it will work or not. I mean, whats the worst that could happen if I messed up the build?
    Seriously, 400odd gallons on the floor isn't *that* bad. :laugh:

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That tank is looking fantastic! I am anxious for updates. I've been doing a lot of woodwork lately myself. This is inspiring!

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Thanks for the inquiries!

I have no real progress in the past few days. I have been getting my ski boat running properly, so now that that is running like a top, I can get back to working on the "woody".

I did order my 2.5 gallons of epoxy, and I have the stand all figured out. I am hoping Today i can get all the lumber bought and cut up for the stand.

It will be a garf style basic stand as it will be behind the bar, and hidden eventually with drywall. I will also triple up the corners and double up the fronts, and maybe add some cross bracing to the front.

I will use 2x6's on the top, with a 3/4 piece (pieces) of plywood to support the tank. I will put the 75g sump under the display tank. From what I read, the use of 2x6's for the top will allow me to have no center mounted top to bottom brace in back, allowing me better access to the sump. Maybe I will make the center piece removable for when i need more room, or to simply get the sump in. I want to make sure that the stand won't be an issue.

stand will be made in this fashion, but 2 extra 2x4's in each of the corners, 2x6s for the top frame instead of 2x4's, and obvously different dimensions..

[​IMG]