193 gallon plywood build thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by horkn, Jun 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I tested the rotozip out on a spare piece of 3/4 ply, even with the fence for a guide, its cut was all over the place. It will work for corners and detail work, but what saw should I use for cutting the frame on the front and the top eurobrace? I was thinking a circular saw might be the ticket. What have you guys used for these cuts?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. somethingfish85

somethingfish85 Skunk Shrimp

a circular saw with a sharp blade would be ideal, or a fine tooth hand saw, they will cut a lot cleaner then others

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

A local guy on our club forum has a circular saw with a rip fence. He will come over with the saw early this week:)

1 person likes this.
  5. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

Home Depot is also now selling Freud Diablo Ultra finish cut blade fors 15 bucks (60 teeth on a 7 1/4 blade) cutting slow (to prevent deflection) will give you a great cut! Just make sure that anything you cut you "break" the edge with a piece of sandpaper or something cause it will leave a sharp clean corner.

6. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

Are you going to keep the edges of the window square or round them off? If you round them, a router with a template and flush trim bit is the way to go.

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I am thinking I will use a router with a flush trim bit. Nothing fancy, just a radius to make it round.

One of our local reefers in our club, came over and we got the eurobrace and the front cut outs done. Thanks a TON Jerry!
    Now I need to attach the front, and cut out the spots in the eurobrace for the twin overflows on the back wall and the eurobrace, then I can attach the eurobrace.

After that it is time to use the miter saw and cut 45 degree angles for the corners, probably going to use quarter round unless I can find a flat topped version of those... The 45's in the corners strengthen the tank up immensely, and take away the stress at the bottom corners.
    I am getting there.

crappy pictures are better than none.

Note 12oz beer bottle for reference size.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

Hot S**t, bro!

Seriously wasn't expecting to come back to that much progress. It is going to look amazing when finished. I am now thinking long and hard about doing that for my 400 and going with a 3-sided viewable version like you linked.

An inspiration, I say!

1 person likes this.
  10. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Tom, what kind of beer is that in the corner?

11. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Looks deadly! Can't wait to see the water! Congrats on joining the plywood club.

1 person likes this.
  12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I vacuumed by boat out, cleaned the inside of the hull, and outside out as well, and cleaned up the vinyl upholstery as well. That and I weeded the one flower bed.

I am a busy guy, and tomorrow I will get more done.

Thanks for the kind words!

Tom