175 watt Hamilton or LED

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Kevin_E, Dec 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

They sound like legitimate points. I actually had plans to do more frequent water changes. Now, is my current light source as good as, or better than, (175 or 250) halide lighting?

2. Click Here!

3. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

With those dimensions, stay away from MH. Not really viable as you will have nearly 45-60% light spillover. I would consider T5 or LED with a stronger lean toward LED.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Oh, really? That's too bad. I could have owned both a Hamilton 175 and a Hamilton 250 for about $75 in total. I currently have 55 bridgelux LEDs over my 20 long with 120* optics. Very unhappy with growth though. Maybe it's a water change issue as suggested above.

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

As good or better? I would mostly take that to mean, does it have the needed PAR, with less watts and do you prefer the color? Other consideration may be heat and as Greg said coverage. A metal halide is generally designed to cover a roghly 24"x24" area. So, when your tank is only 13" wide, your going to waste a lot of light over the front and back as you about 11" narrower than intended. And you still need 2 to cover the length. Of course, in generall, 13" is narrow, so, I say go with a 48x 24" tank and go with two halides ;D. Back to the "better" question though, the PAR part will therefore depend on the shape. On my 30x30 cube I think a halide is better, but on a 48 x 13 would prefer LEDs as you'll get better coverage with less watts. As for color, that's a personal preference.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks. I guess I will invest in another LED unit then. Maybe throw some optics on it too?

Do you think adding a couple ATI T-5s (icecap ends) as a retrofit in my canopy will help with growth? Or would it be too much light?

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Since I am trying to exhaust all of my options, what do you all think of a combo fixture like Aqua Medic's 2 t-5 buld and 2 150 watt halides? Would I have a lot of spill over with it?

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

That would be a great option....

If you got a 4' x 2' x 2' tank. I mean it would work great but you will be wasting the light. It's like paying for a 32 oz refill when you only have a 16 oz cup. Fill your cup and the rest goes all over the floor.

I never even think about recommending MH lighting unless a person's tank is at a minimum of 20" front to back. 24"+ is ideal.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate the responses!

11. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

A friend of mine just did that and he is happy.
    [​IMG]

First step removed his all LED lighting
    [​IMG]

Next installed T5
    [​IMG]

Put the LEDs back
    [​IMG]

Last put the optics back on and clean up the wiring
    [​IMG]

He has been very happy with the change.