150 cube equipment list...thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by luvreefs23, Sep 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Welp, i have a little 20 gallon long at the moment with a frogfish but i need larger. Winter is coming and the basement is 90% remodeled....i remodeled it for the sole purpose of putting a nice tank down there. I had a 250 marineland and it was up for a few months but i took it down after i became burned out taking care of tanks ( i take care of 5 of em for someone on the side). I also had a few things i designed wrong that irratated me that i plan on making right this time. First off im going with a 150 gallon marineland cube with the corner overflow, below is the list of the rest of the stuff i plan on using.

2 vortech mp40w ecosmarts
    atb 840 econo cone v2.0
    Litermeter 3 with top off pump and water exchange module ( i have 1/4" lines that run thru the walls to the laundry room which i used and will use to do automatic water changes)
    geo 410 phosphate reactor
    2 ice cap 24" lunarlite LED moonlights
    electronic galaxy select a watt ballast (using the 400 watt setting)
    400 watt 20k ushio bulb
    2-4 4.5" fans for the canopy
    lumen max 2 pendant
    2 bulb 39 watt icecap retrofit with actinic bulbs
    4 bulb 39 watt icecap retrofit with 2 giesemann 6000k midday bulbs and the other 2 being KZ fiji purples.
    As far as a return pump....either a mag 9.5/12 or an atb 1500
    APEX lite controller with 2 energy bar 8s
    2 200 watt marineland stealth pro heaters
    magnavore 4er magnet cleaner
    the 150 gallon marineland cube with starphire front glass
    Custom acrylic sump, somewhere in the neighborhood of 32x20x18 (about 50 gallons...prolly around 25-30 circulating in there with the return on.
    Im going to have the canopy and stand custom built but havent decide what kind of wood yet....something nice.
    160lbs of live sand and prolly around 100-125lbs of liverock

I think that will do it...I have some of the stuff listed but kinda pacing myself on getting the rest of it cause my basement floor is yet to be finished so theres no huge rush. Im hoping to have the tank up by end of october. Im gonna stick with pretty much all sps with some lps and zoo's in the areas of the tank where its light challenged. Im also gonna do alot of smaller fish....some wrasses and anthias, clowns, gobies, i have to resist my urge for tangs. I dont need to be buying anything that outgrows my tank and gives me excuses to think about upgrades. This is my last pimped out tank for a long long time.

Hows that sound? Anyone have any equipment addition or change suggestions?

Thanks
    Dennis

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Looks like a great list. I would change one thing though the 6000K bulbs. They will most likely fade or brown out your corals. Stay away from the Geisemann 11000K as it has a reputation for doing the same. Replace with ATI Aquablue Special which are 12000K bulbs or KZ daylight bulbs. Try to stay at 12000K or bluer.

4. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Thanks for the headsup....come to think of it i had some browning of sps in my 250 and one of the bulbs i ran was a giesemann 6000k bulb. Ill go with the ati aquablue specials instead like u mentions.

thanks again