12000k 14000k 20000k 10000k???

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Uber, Nov 3, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Uber

Uber Astrea Snail

i supplement the tang with feedings every 2 days with Marine green 40(40% veggie flake food) also he easts very well when i feed them frozen mysis shrimp,frozen brine shrimp, brine shrimp formula flake, frozen krill, and regular marine flakes, the tang is prbrably the most aggressive feeder in the tank, hopefully that is enough? if not please tell me, i would hate to think he isnt getting enough food!! he is my fav fish! color is awesome and behavior is intriguing.. heres a better puc of the tang

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Uber

Uber Astrea Snail

ps..look at the corraline algea on the back wall!! is that normal for everyone, i mean, on all the glass EVERYWHERE, front back sides, even the sand is getting it, i have to scrap on a weekliy..is this a good sign, or is it just normal??

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah the coraline growth is normal.

Nice tang! Looks good to me, although he is going to make any new additions pay - very territorial - be sure to move rock if you add any more fish. Tangs are recommended to be the last fish you add for that reason.

5. Uber

Uber Astrea Snail

to be honest, he was my second fish to add, he is VERY passive, and not relly territorial, as of yet, i had added 1 gramma and a fiji damsel, he left them alone, but the three spot damsel chased them around really bad, i eventually took them out, and back to to lfs, and have resolved to only getting sih similar or larger then the three spot, really i have seen absolutley no aggressive nature from this tang, but thx for the tip!

6. Uber

Uber Astrea Snail

dman those 250w XM 10k's par rating blows ALL outa the water!!,wow, anyone know any downfall from them??

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

The tang looks MUCH better in that pic. It's storing fat under it's dorsal fin. The important thing to remember about tangs is that they are grazers and like to be eating whenever they want. That's why a lot of people will put a piece of nori in their tank if there is no algae for them to graze on.

Craig Manoukian has a number of tangs so hopefully he will see this post and throw in his 2 cents.

Regarding the coralline issue. That means that your tank chemistry is well balanced. Although some of it will likely bleach once you add higher lighting. Some species are more light tolerant than others. As long as the chemistry stays balanced, you will start growing coralline again. Also, everytime you scrape it, you are seeding even more coralline as the spores will float somewhere else and start growing.

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Tangs need a minimum of 48" in lateral swim room and 75 gallons as they can become quite large in a home aquarium.  As for the algae, the fine green algae that accumulates on the glass will be of no value to this tang.  Macro algae is what is needed as you can see by the shape of its mouth.  Caulerpa and turf algae are favorites for them to nibble and pick at.  You will need to supplement the diet with Nori seaweed or other suitable macro algae replacements.  

A Yellow Eyed Kole tang is a master it cleaning the algae off of the glass.  HTH