12 gallon 2 days old

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by HORTON16, Mar 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

The point to leave the lights off is based on the theory that algae thrives on light, without it algae will not grow. With your tank being so young and I'm sure the parameters are a little off, algae will thrive with lights on in your tank. Also, your not ready for a cleanup crew yet, so why let the algae go crazy? Like I said, wait till your tank is 3 months old, add lights, when you notice an algae bloom add a small cleanup crew, and you will be good. Goin too fast in this hobby only leads to bad things.
    I will give you credit, you seem to be doing the right thing, asking a lot of questions and willing to take our advice! Keep that attitude and it will pay off bigtime in the long run! Also, we love the questions, so keep em comin! Karma and good luck!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. HORTON16

HORTON16 Sea Dragon

i gave you karma also
    everyone on here is a lot of help

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Couldnt have said it better, I second that motion. Luna

5. HORTON16

HORTON16 Sea Dragon

can you guys read up on i believe page 7 where i posted my tank temps
    how are those temps?

and also should i do any tests today before getting my clown fish tomorrow?

6. bmshehan

I like keeping my tank at 78, so your right there. It can vary a degree either way, but 78 is the ticket, mine rarely goes more than 1/2 a degree either way. A clown should be fine, but if you want to make sure add a yellow tailed damsel. They are the toughest fish out there. And if you absolutely did not like it, your LFS might take it back on a return later, but he will be a b*&$^ to catch! Like I said, chances are a clown will make it but a damsel is a sure bet! My clowns made it through my cycle just fine!

7. bmshehan

Also, have you tested your salinity, aka specific gravity? This is VERY important also. When I added my fish about 10 days after I started my tank salinity and temp were the only 2 things I tested for, very important! I would be 1,000 times more worried about that then Ph at this point

8. Click Here!

9. HORTON16

HORTON16 Sea Dragon

yea thats a nice fish i will probably get that instead of the clown if im better off but the only thing is how many fish can i put into the 12 gallon?

10. HORTON16

HORTON16 Sea Dragon

how do i test the salinity?

11. bmshehan

I believe Omard has a 12g, he can probably let you know what has worked for him as far as fish capacity is concerned. Send him a PM or wait and see if he chimes in. There are all sorts of "rules" about fish capacity but go slow and see what is right for you. Just make sure your parameters are great and your tank is well oxygenated. But this will be a while away, after you add this fish it is a good idead to wait till lights are on and add a couple things about every month or so, to let the tank stabilize.

12. HORTON16

HORTON16 Sea Dragon

how do i check the salinity?