12 gallon 2 days old

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by HORTON16, Mar 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

It sounds as if you went to your fish store, said you wanted a saltwater tank, and they sold you a tank, salt, additives, and an entire pile of BS... is my guess right? You need to do A LOT of research it sounds like, SW is nothing you can "wing," it is amazing how much knowledge you need to make everything work. Slow down, research, research some more, then do a little more research to be on the safe side. I wouldn't do ANYTHING to the tank until you know whats going on. Lucky for you, this site is a wonderful place to start!!

2. Click Here!

3. HORTON16

HORTON16 Sea Dragon

the filter is the one that came built in the tank it is a nano.
    I have a picture of the tank.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/live-rock/my-new-live-rock-formation-46681.html#post425749

The tank has two different lights should i use the light that is on in that picture or the other one?

4. HORTON16

HORTON16 Sea Dragon

i did some research but i guess not enough. Good thing i am learning everything i need to know on here with the topics i made and reading other topics.

5. GeejEx

GeejEx Skunk Shrimp

I really like that rock set up. Looks like a deep sand bed, so watch that. It will start bubbling eventually.

I see some blue, so I'm guessing the kit came with 50/50 power compact lights. That will be enough (so I hear) for fish and soft coral if placed high. I'm running the same type of lighting but haven't introduced coral yet (see also my anemone problems last week).

I assume the hood has a filter in it? I changed out the "stock" bio-wheel hood filter for a canister, which threw my tank back into a cycle, so if you want to upgrade do it now. I also added a hang-on protein skimmer that is doing wonders for my water quality, so I'd suggest investigating that first...

I'm new at this too, so take my advice with a grain of salt (at 1.026 specific gravity of course. hehe)

6. HORTON16

HORTON16 Sea Dragon

the filter is in the back of the tank

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

nope, it has a fasle back panel which makes the back of the tank a form of in tank filter ;)

8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

You posted before i could answer :D

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I wouldnt turn on the lights just yet(imo). The only thing that your going to gain by that is an early algae bloom, which is sometimes hard to get ride of. Dont add any additives, no lights, dont do any water changes, just sit back and watch and wait. You can add a damsel after the 4th week or so, but thats it.

1 person likes this.
  11. HORTON16

HORTON16 Sea Dragon

i gave you karma because you are the best help on this entire site.
    I just turned the light on for the picture and someone posted that i should have a timer to have it go on 4 hours a day.

lunatic i am going to take your opinion
    should i not have the light on at all or have it on 4 hours a day?

12. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

No lights at all!!! I believe Luna will agree... during the first couple months of cycling all lights do is help a bad algae bloom. I just turned my first light on (my actinics) today and my tank was born on 1/3! I also haven't had any algae blooms yet, unless you count coralline!! (Knock on wood!!) Leave the lights off for 10 weeks IMO, but I am on the slow course, nothing happens fast in SW but bad things and bank account drains!!!