12 gallon 2 days old

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by HORTON16, Mar 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HORTON16

HORTON16 Sea Dragon

I got a 12 gallon nano it is 2 days old.
    I am using seachem PRIME and STABILITY
    I do about 1/2 to a full capful of prime a day. I do 2 caps of stability a day.
    Is there anything else I need? Also when should I go to the store for a water check?

thanks

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Why are you adding additives to a cycling tank?

4. HORTON16

HORTON16 Sea Dragon

the store told me to do that everyday

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I personaly dont add anything to a cycling tank with the exception of a damsel to kick off the cycle. I think they told you that to sell you something. Let mother nature take care of her world. Those products might hurt you in the long run. Remember, nothing good happens fast in a tank. A cycling period can last up to 12 weeks.

6. HORTON16

HORTON16 Sea Dragon

okay. I only did it 2 or 3 days so far so ill stop. When should i go in for my first water check.
    A week or two?

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I wouldnt worry about water checks yet but if you want to log your progress or watch how the parameters flucuate, go ahead.

8. Click Here!

9. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I would hold off on the test for 3 weeks minumum it jut wont have cycled bye this time,
    as stated the best think to do is make sure you you get your salinity , ph and temp correct just test these they are the basic 3 for me then after they are correct for a week no less then add your self a little yellow tailed damsel their tuff as nails and the reefers choice for a cycle, dont let anyone sell you somethink different ie a baby clown fish yes their damsels but they are not the best choice at this time.

Good luck to you

10. HORTON16

HORTON16 Sea Dragon

sorry to be asking a noob question but what do you mean by "watch how the parameters flucuate"

11. HORTON16

HORTON16 Sea Dragon

i dont have a thermometer but i am going to the store to pick one up tomorrow

12. GeejEx

GeejEx Skunk Shrimp

You'll see the nitrates, nitrites, etc spike and drop a few times. I rushed it and added a cleaning crew at one week, damsels at three weeks. Too fast! I thought that my "live sand" bed combined with "pre-cured" live rock and the additive bio-juice (bacteria from LFS, forget the brand name) was enough. A few days later/week or so bubbles of nitrogen started rising from the sand- wasn't cycled fully yet.
    I'll echo what you'll hear from everyone else- GO SLOW!

My suggestion would be to put the lights on a timer for 4 hours a day and walk away from the tank- don't do anything at all After a week or so you can try to ghost feeding or raw shrimp to add something for the bacteria to eat. Don't use the little bay shrimp unless you don't plan to get them out again- bigger ones you can fish out with a net.

Ignore it, read the forums, look at the pretty fishies in the store, but don't buy anything until May 1. You'll see some algae if there's live rock/sand, and that's ok too. May 1 get some astrea/turbo snails ( I have heard 1 snail/gal, but that's a ton) and a peppermint shrimp- this one's live ;P.

Can you give us a rundown on the filtration/set up. Rock/sand, etc?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008