12,000K T5 Bulbs for a reef?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Malachi, Sep 8, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Giesemanns Aquablue is actually marketed as a 15,000k lamp... If you were to run only that lamp, at least in my eyes, it would not be 15000k.. It has more of a 10000k to it, or lower, at least thats what my eyes see. The lamp itself is very white when lit but once it hits the water its not as white or blue.. But that also could just be me :)

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Very true....and some bulbs will stray into the red zone when going bad. Some red is OK. It is necessary for the growth of zooanthellae within corals. But too much is a bad thing.

One thing you need to be careful of is that, and I may be incorrect on this, Odyssea fixtures may not accept bulbs of other manufacturers. With their PC models, this is one of the great truths, but I am not sure of their T5s.

Anyone have any input on this?

4. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Kind of off topic but recent studies show TOO much red will actually cause zooxanthellae to stop mitosis... essentially it will stop dividing and multiplying..

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

dont worry about topic guys

WayneG a new member posted today on a thread that the previous poster Malachi
    asked a question on Sept 10th 2006

you got to assume he has his lamps by now anyway

Steve

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Yup. Too much of a good thing is bad.