10k or 16k, that is the question!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Hoopastank, Sep 7, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hoopastank

Hoopastank Spaghetti Worm

I have an AI Prime light and it is set to 16k settings with the red and green turned off. My Zoas are not opening up a much as they used to, but i have noticed a lot of new growth on the back of them. I have also added a candy cane coral over the past week, which is doing fine under the lighting. I was just wanting some opinions with the 10k vs 16k. If i change the light to 10k it's more white then blue, but which is preferred or better for the corals.

Thanks! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

10k will cause better growth, 16k will give better colors.

4. Hoopastank

I have had it set to 16k for a while now. Is it bad if i change it and see how it goes?

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I would say no. Reefs have different spectrums every day based on cloud cover and such.

6. Hoopastank

Thnaks Va, I'm going to give it a try!

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I'm guessing a mixture/both is not possible?

8. Click Here!

9. pmcarbrey

pmcarbrey Plankton

Both are suitable for coral growth. If you are having problems with your zoas not opening I would check your water quality. What is your salinity, Ammonia, Nitrite, Alk, Cal, ect.

10. Hoopastank

thats the least of the worries right now with my zoas. The bridge rock that they were on fell somehow and they snapped off. I glued them back to the rock, well see how they get on.. But that makes sence of the water. its off, i have some ammonia in it right now .25 did a water change last week...

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I don't think switching to 10k would make your ZOA's open, there's another issues.

You can switch to 10k, but there's a reason most ppl don't choose to, it's unpleasing to the eye. Ppl running 10k use an actinic to supplement, typically.

I am and have been running 20k with 2 4' actinic bulbs.

12. Hoopastank

I hve been running the 10k for two days now, and the few corals that i have seem to love it! everything is opening up better the, candy cane is more puffy, and the pallys that i have are about the size of a quarter now. I re-glued the zoas that broke off the rock and they seem to be okay, starting to open more. I will see what happens. It is a lot more bright and yes its not as pleasing to the eye, but things do look more healthy and happy.