10g tank 10g sump-return pump suggestions

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Coastie Reefer, May 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

OK so I'm working on finishing up my sump for my 10 gallon setup. It's going to have about 3' of head. Any return pump suggestions? I was looking into the Rio 600 or 800.

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

What kind of overflow do you have?

4. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

^what he said, plus, what are you gonna keep in the tank? If you're thinking SPS down the road, they say youd need 20+ times turnover rate which your case is 200gph?

Let me make it simple for you.
    -Minimum (Fish only) :10 times of your DT volume = 100gph
    -LPS, Softies :15-20 times = 150~200gph
    -SPS : 20 plus times = 200+ gph

The Rio 800 will have 100gph with the 3' headloss. Ive never had experience with Rio pumps so I wouldnt know but just glancing at the specs of them, its decent made and the flowrate seems good as well.

On the other hand, since its such a small tank, if the return is too powerful and if you have a single outlet, you are gonna have a hard time positioning the return outlet: everything in the tank will be blown away by the current.

So if I were you, Id go a bit bigger and re-route with a Tee in the middle of the return pipe so you can control the return rate.

I hope this helps.