10g Reef lighting

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Kaianuanu, Apr 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kaianuanu

Kaianuanu Peppermint Shrimp

Hi, i am a fowlr guy, thats where all of my knowledge is. I a reef noob. Anyway, i am thinking about starting a small reef in one of my 10g's. I want to get just a few basic corals and an anemone , also a firefish and a percula. My questionn is: What is the cheapest way to go with lighting for a 10g reef?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

im tempted to recommend pc's of a very high wpg even though you want a anemone, due to the shallowness of the tank.
    but i think its probably better if we leave the lighting expirements to someone else.

a metal halide would be good
    either a 70watt

or a 150/175 that is a couple feet above it.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I would go with a 70W MH as well.
    But for what its worth, IMO, nothing that you listed up there should be in a 10 gallon, with maybe an exception to the firefish.

5. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

I second the 70 watt, that should be plenty of light and you could always add a T5 retro if needed. Although I ran a 150w over my 10 gallon I would not recommend someone new trying that much light, you can obliterate that crap out of everything if your not careful ;D

6. Kaianuanu

Kaianuanu Peppermint Shrimp

I may also do it in a 20g tall. could the 70 watt MH work in that? ALso how much would it cost for me to do that, I may be able to do a diy.