100w vs 50w LED multichip (for 90 gallon)

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by jimmy_beaner, Aug 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

I've been reading and reading about the new multichips and I'm still a bit on the fence about the decision between these two. Many of the posts about the 100w chips seem to indicate that unless they're running at ~1/2 power, they melt the tank inhabitants (even SPS). I doubt this is everyone's experience and I'm sure photo-acclimation would certainly help.

I guess my question is based out of whether the 100w or 50w would be good for the tank I'm building. The cost difference isn't much, but if I can only run it at 30-40%, there's not a ton of difference to not go for the 50w. The other option I was thinking is simply to leave off the optics so there's a lot of diffuse 100w light. I did that in my Biocube (I realize it's a far cry from a "deep" tank) and it worked really well. My hope is to run only 2 multichip pendants for the 90. This is another thing that had me leaning to no optics and the 100w chips. I will be building a frame to hold the coolers for the multichips and will be mounting supplemental crees on that frame.

I should also mention I'd be grabbing dimmable drivers and the APEX to allow ramp up and down.

Very open to ideas.

2. Click Here!

3. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Those multichips will be overkill for your tank.
    my tank is 21 inches tall and My fixture just uses 3w leds, zero optics, 8" off the water and over 100 par on the sandbed.

You'd get a better diffuse effect using a much wider optic, youd be running those 100w chips at about 20-30% on an 18" tall tank if you still want to consider that route.
    If you want to try multichips, why not go for a bunch of 10-20w and space em closer for a nice even spread.
    Those dimmable drivers for those multichips will dim the whole light, not each individual color, Youd have to rewire those hybrid chips for that effect, or you run seperate 10k and actinic but you may get spotlight effect of colors. but have individual control of the dimming color.

4. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

Just to explain a little more about what I was thinking. The top has 2 pendants, the bottom has 4. I'm not sure if 4 would be overkill... but it might just be. I would be using those main pendants for the majority of the light with just 3W crees added to the frame for supplemental. Those would include some green, red, royal blues.

Attached Files: