100w heater in a 10g tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by bcBIGbud420, Jul 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bcBIGbud420

bcBIGbud420 Plankton

Hey everyone, I've had this 10 gallon since Christmas and the temp outside was dropping past -30*c and when this happened, the tank thermometer was fluctuating. Even now half way through summer it still fluctuates quite a bit when I have the light on or off. I read a bit through Google, but would like to hear some opinions. I currently have a female Betta in the tank which may be moved to a different tank,as it doesn't get along with guppies. Then I was thinking of putting in 4-5 guppies. Thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef.

You are going to have significant swings in temperature if your house temperature swings a lot. A 100w heater will help keep the swings down provided it isn't set so low that is does not activate because your house temperature has risen a lot.

Your stocking plan sound fine.

4. bcBIGbud420

bcBIGbud420 Plankton

I just put it in yesterday and have been monitoring the temp which is holding steady at 75*F/24*C I may turn it up a tad bit more

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If your house temperature gets to 80 so will the tank most likely.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef.

And yes a heater should resolve that issue.

7. bcBIGbud420

bcBIGbud420 Plankton

It doesn't usually get that hot in the house, but I know what your saying ;)

Thanks, it has solved the issue so far ;D

EDIT: Adding this heater has made a huge difference in my Betta's behavior. It no longer tries to eat the apple snails I put in. It is also nice that the temp doesn't dip down when I turn the lights off anymore. Hopefully I can add a few guppies without the Betta going crazy

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012