$1000 Coral

Discussion in 'Coral' started by ReefBruh, Feb 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. krg212

krg212 Astrea Snail

2. Click Here!

3. allenmay8

allenmay8 Fire Worm

not only is it ridiculously expensive, it looks like they ran all the photos through photoshop to enhance the color.

4. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I feel that fish are often a different scenario than corals.

With fish, you basically can only get a new one from the wild. If it's a deepwater fish (harder to dive for), or one that is in an area with tough export restrictions (low quantity), or higher death rate from shipping, or size of the fish, there's a legitimate reason for the price. There's quite a bit of objective reasoning used in pricing the fish.

But corals...there's many, many corals circulating around that are the same coral, at different prices, because they look different based on local environmental conditions, whether that's water quality, brand of salt, Zeovit/Not, type of lighting, exact bulb combination, the position of the bulbs in the fixture, additives of all sorts, carbon/not, refugium/not....the list goes on. The near complete lack of objectivity used to price the corals (beyond the rare species, as with the reasons I mentioned for fish) is what I see as the problem.

In other words, since they're the same exact coral, with the same exact coloration when under the same conditions, my sunset and his sunset should sell for the same price. But they don't, there's the difference of coloration, which is actually a utterly meaningless indicator of demand and rarity; his coral, under my conditions, will look exactly like mine.

6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Point well taken.

7. LadyReef

LadyReef Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Best thing I've read today. LOL