$1000 Coral

Discussion in 'Coral' started by ReefBruh, Feb 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I paid $20-30 for this guy:
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Yeah, cherry has some nice stuff...
    Comparitively, it all depends, for example, I have PPEs that cost med 30$ a polyp but some retailers still have them for 75$ a polyp!

4. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

knowing my luck I would kill a $1000 coral. lol

5. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

Yea, i am thinking about ordering it this week. Hopefully they can pack it well!!! :)

6. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

NOT!!!! haha got ya! :)

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

My lfs has a purple chalice just like the one linked before, and values it at about 700. Not for sale as its in his in store personal tank, though.

8. Click Here!

9. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

5000? that is just nutty, im sorry if I offended anyone. Colony? looking at the pic it doesnt look very large to me. Idk, I saw the yellow fungia at the LFS same color size for 45, which I thought was high since I get them for for 30 or 35 when they come in. I just could think of about 1000 things I could spend my money on for the tank before 1 eye of that thing. Someone would walk by and say oo thats cool...then they would watch my 20 dollar clowns again.

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

The biggest thing I don't understand about these corals is the massive jump between a darn nice piece at $250 and a slightly better piece at $1000. It's such a small difference in colors that I don't get the price difference. It seems to be an excessive jump, for a color difference that many times could be attributed to a slight lighting difference.

Case in point: I have a sunset monti frag, taken from my LFS owner's personal tank. His monti looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    And mine looks like this:
    [​IMG]

There was just a small difference in lighting (I run 2 x UVL 454s, whereas he uses 2x ATI actinic, on top of 2 x ATI actinic, 1 x ATI daylight, and 1x ATI purple). There would be a huge difference in the price you can ask for these, especially if you just called the first "sunset monti" and called the second "tyree sunset monti".

Now, the other side of things, there's this coral @ $1000:

Zory's Uber Watermelon*::*Echinopyllia/Challice coral*::*Large polyp stonys*::*Cherry Corals

vs. this one (CC photo edited), valued @ $700:

chalice.bmp.jpg

vs. this one @ $300:

Watermelon Chalice Colony :: Coral 2 Sell :: For Sale, Buy This Item

and the kicker is that they're all the same darn coral at the same(ish) size, just under different lighting (and levels of photoshop) and with different names!

11. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

blackraven you pretty much summed it all up for me...i feel the same way.

12. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

completely agree..its seems like the less expensive stuff people notice more than the rare stuff in my tank