100% live rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Tavast, Dec 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

well thats assuming you go with pukani dry rock and not fiji dry rock...i personally like the look of fiji better

and the aquascaping thing is a big plus since you can work with it out of the water for long periods of time and put frames in the middle of it

2. Click Here!

3. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

True, there is also Marco dry rock, I'm not sure if you guys get that in the states or not. but its pretty awesome stuff too! I'm upgrading to a 40 gallon cube 24x24x15 in a month and am going to go all dry rock but use my existing LR to put in my sump and seed it that way.

4. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

purple up worked great for me! not sure why it wouldn't be recommended!

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Please explain how purple up helped your cycle? All it is is leftover aragonite dust in water.

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I bought 30# of dry Pukani, 20# of pink aragonite. Seeded it with SeaChem Stability and my tank was cycled in 4 weeks. Never had a no2/no3 nor ammonia spike of any kind :) that was 9 months ago and still have never had any. ;)

7. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

i'm sorry i was misinformed. purple up will not help a tank cycle, but i have had a lot of success with it adding coralline algae to my new rocks when i was first starting my tank.

purple up works for boosting purple, red, and green coralline growth.

definitely does not help in any way for beneficial bacteria.

sorry!!

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I saw a great comment the other day...

Correlation doesn't prove causation.

Just because you had great coralline growth doesn't mean Purple Up worked. As long as you have good lighting, low phosphate and plenty of mag/alk/calc. Coralline will take off. My tank is 6 months old and already completely purple/pink. I have used no weird additives. Just BRS two part and a healthy reef environment.

As stated, Purple up is basically expensive argonite dust in a bottle. The PH levels needed to even break it down would kill your tanks inhabitants.

@OP, I used Dr. Tim's One and Only and some nice live rock (man made stuff that is supposedly cycled in there tanks) that had to ship for a day then sit in the boxes another day and a half before I finally got to use it (not really live anymore).... I never saw ammonia and could barely trace Nitrite. After two weeks I started slowly adding fish and never saw a cycle.
    Dr. Tim is a sponsor that is currently offering 35% off his products to 3reef members (everything except LEDs) from now till Dec 25!! use code 3reef35

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011