100 gallon galss diy question

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by fish addict, Jun 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fish addict

fish addict Spaghetti Worm

i just need to know where to go to get the glass and what do i need to put the tank together

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Go to a glass store, and then use GE silicon 1 without the mold protectant for silicon.

Garf has a great site and instructions to get you rolling. plug in your dimensions and choose "glass"
    http://www.garf.org/tank/BuildTank.asp

4. purpletang

purpletang Bristle Worm

I have read a lot on this subject and I strongly believe acrylic is the better way to go as far as diy.
    It is much easier to cut, stronger and when you add this acrylic glue(forget the name) it seals the acrylic together so well that it is actually stronger than the acrylic itself!
    IMO acrylic is easier and better for diy projects.

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I agree to some extent about acrylic.

It is easy to DIY an acrylic tank, but it gets $$, quickly and then you still have the acrylic that is easily scratched.

Use the garf calculator to get the directions for an acrylic tank, then call up, or go to an acrylic store and get a quote for the pieces.

A friend of Doc frag and mine has glasscages make a 20g or so acrylic eurobraced tank for him, and it was like 200 dollars!

6. purpletang

purpletang Bristle Worm

4x8 foot sheets are like 140 i think depending on thickness.
    You can get it all professionally cut though so you can use the same piece for multiple sides.