$100 DIY Cree LED XR-E - Actinic Supplement 48" Light Strip

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Night-Rida, Jul 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well lets us know here what you decide to get.. best prices I've found are so far @ rapidled.com, hey 4 or 5 of these babies arent measly.. you see what 8 leds do over a 4' run.. if your looking for more spread than spot light then do 60 or 80 degree lens or no lens = 100 degrees.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

thanks for the kind words.. 2 strips of 6 should be good on 29g.. maybe not sps/clams dominant.. but should be fine for lps/softies. get the premium kit it has upgraded 6 Cool White Cree XP-G R5 LEDs.. I believe these put out a little more lumens than the white XR-Es. but no lenses for these xp-g yet. so I think you'll get a 100 degree spread without optics/lenses.

12 Ultra Premium LED Do-It-Yourself Retrofit Kit

let us know how it works out! ;D

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Yes that would work and you can get a kit to run them for real cheap from rapidled.com
    Or, if your not the DIY type, you can pay a little bit extra to get a fixture: Results for Nano Retrofit Kits

5. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

so now thats its been a couple days.hows the heat?...is that 4' bar enough?..I have a 72 bow would be using the same amount of leds as you be enough??... as I sated earlier in your post,I want to swap out my 14k halides for 10k,and take out my actinic pc`s(to hot and replace often),would this be a good option for me..thanks and sorry for all the questions..

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I have a 75 Gal half round with a 2' opening for lights in the middle and two 6" x 12" openings on the side (where the light brackets sit). I'm thinking of doing a pattern like this \_/ with 1 LED on each slant and 3 (or 2) in the middle. Still need a 4 bulb T5HO fixture if anyone has on used they are selling. That should complete my lights (for now).

7. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Ordered 4 of em...see what it looks like. Maybe I'll order more.

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

You might need a few more... But your explanation is kinda confusing?

10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

yes the 48"x1.5"x1/8" bar is working out fine. I make sure my fans are on when leds are on too. if you can find a 48"x2"x1/8" bar that would be even better.. I just didnt have it at my local home depot. your local lowes, ace hardware or home depot may have it. without my MH's lights, on the bar is pretty much cool to the touch. and my fan is only hitting the center section of the bar too. installing a fan aiming down the whole length of the 4' bar would be ideal, keep that in mind when designing yours.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  11. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

good deal, what lens/optics did you go with?

12. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

sounds like a half-circle, with a big center opening with 2 braces and 2 small sections on the sides of those braces.. thats what i got from it anyways. ;D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.