$100 DIY Cree LED XR-E - Actinic Supplement 48" Light Strip

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Night-Rida, Jul 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Hey Night-Rida i have a standard 55 gallon tank and would love some more color in it during the day and at night do you think 6 on a 36" alum bar with 80 degree lenses would give me enough power to add some color during the day, yet not be to bright for moon lights, im really lookin for something i can keep on during the night to get some color and night viewing in my tank. Ty in advance for any help or advice

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

these leds are pretty powerful, 6 should add a little blue hue during the day with your daylight lights. just make sure you have enough space on your bar if you'd like to add more later. as for moonlights these are pretty bright, i just bought a cheapo ebay 24 led blue strip. I just leave it plugged in 24/7. I think i got it from china for like $13 shipped. what kind of daylights are you running mh,t5s,pcs? watts?

4. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

im actually saving up for a new lighting system just bought the tank from a guy about a month ago and its still fish only with 2 Fluorescent Single Strip Lights it does fine for fish only but i want to start getting into more reef so i Definitely know im in need for an upgrade :-D

5. Sammy113

Sammy113 Astrea Snail

Very nice DIY. I did something similar for a friend with 12 Royal Blue and 80 deg Optics. Mounted to a 1.25" x 1" x 1/8" "C" Channel. Spend $110
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    mounted over a 75g tank with 8 tube TEK lamp, This thing is BRIGHT!

1 person likes this.
  6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

great job! yeah those little 3w cree's are BEASTS! K++

7. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

Main Lighting?

I was planning on getting a 28 gal Nano and was wondering if I got the
    12 Ultra Premium LED Do-It-Yourself Retrofit Kit and got all White leds, would it be enough to be the only light on the tank? I dont plan to have crazy amounts of SPS but a few frags and maybe a clam. Would it be enough? Maybe I could buy a separate dimmable ballast and like 6 blue leds later for a hint of blue/moonlight?

also, what is all this about lenses and what degree should I get? I dont know much about Leds and I need your Help! Where can I get one of those aluminum strips you used? I was thinking about cutting it into sections with angled edges and soldering it together to make it a Circle/Hexagon with 2 white leds and 1 blue led on each side. Each side could be white, blue, white all around.?

Other possibility is just 2 strips running parallel with 9 leds each. White, Blue, White, White, Blue, White, White, Blue, White.

Would this be good enough to be the only light? The tank is 24" Wide and 17" Deep. Save $$ and Work? :confused:

What do you think? Thanks in advance for the help. :)

8. Click Here!

9. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

the alum. strips I used was a aluminum rulers or aluminum strips "flat bar" can be found at home depot or lowes. I would run 2 (9 led) strips with a couple blues in there. as for lens 40 or 60 degree is a good start. there really cheap if you end up adjusting later. 18 3w cree leds should be enough on a 28g nano imho.

10. xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx Plankton

I have a 48" 120gal FOWLR. I would like to make a DIY LED kit to replace my compact flouresecents. I have a canopy I noticed some nice ideas in this thread for $100 but that is to add on to an existing unit how about replacing a compact Flourescent unit with just LEDs? any ideas? Thanks

11. chrisnif

chrisnif Flamingo Tongue

I know this is a reef forum, but I'm very happy with the halide I have on my reef, but I'm building a new tank that is going to be either freshwater or FOWLR (so figure about 25% of what you would want for SPS, 50% of a softies only type lighting).

So my tank is a 75 gallon, I was thinking the 12 XP-Gs and what I was going to do is get two 18x6 give or take heat sinks, one for each side of the center brace, and do a 2x3 layout, slightly askew for better coverage, and likely the 80 degree (or possibly no optics). Do you think that would give me similar light level to at least 1 T5HO, maybe 2? I was thinking 10 whites and 2 blues just to give some accent to the fish colors.

I appreciate the advice in advance.

12. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

Great thread! Thank you for sharing I too will be building one of these. I always thought LED's were out of my budget but not anymore. Down with the expensive light fixtures! Long live the DIY Queen! lol ;D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.