$100 DIY Cree LED XR-E - Actinic Supplement 48" Light Strip

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Night-Rida, Jul 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

You will not need a HUGE heat sink... the heat sinks that are currently being used are WAYYY over engineered lol
    If you want to save quite a few bucks, you can get smaller pieces and just cut them every few inches and spread them out then... in some cases, you can reduce the amount of wasted heatsink by half or more!

Also, the PAR 30 bulbs are easy and great for nanos or refugiums... but on a larger tank, I would be very hesitant. you may get spotlighting. Another fact that not many people have thought about yet is that the drivers for those LEDs are skimped on and crammed in there very tightly and thus cannot power as efficiently as the external meanwell drivers

2. Click Here!

3. corey46

corey46 Astrea Snail

I was thinking 48 would be good for my 90 also but I wasn't sure. If I build the 2 strips I will be half way there and I can run my PC fixture with it until I start adding on. Thanks for the advice this gives me a good plan of attack. Also I was thinking something like this would make a good heat sink/ strip that is the full length of the tank without using wood. What do you think?

http://www.thetoolstore.ca/viewItem.asp?idProduct=1056

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

The CREE LED stars are wider than 3/4" I have my Moon Lights set-up on a 2" x 1/16" strip of aluminum. I saw somewhere that someone used an aluminum ruler...I'm sure that is the same thing.

5. corey46

corey46 Astrea Snail

How wide are they? Something like this but wider would be nice because it is rigid but it's good to know the thin strip is good enough.

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I believe they are 20mm...around 7/8" I am using that thin sheet, it is 24" long, with only 4 LEDs on it. It isn't the greatest heatsink, but it does the job on 4. Night-Rida has 8 on his...I want to say his is 4' long.

7. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

ok just letting everyone know, im back.. my led's are still going strong.. no problems at all. love them.. any new questions, just ask im here to help.

8. Click Here!

9. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Glad your back and to hear the leds are doing fine..I'm loving mine soo glad I went this route.many thanks for taking the time to post the led info...in a few months I will be doing a full led set up to replace my halides.going with 24blue 24cool white with dim ballast and the alc for my rkl to control it..should be fun..

10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

no problem, I cant wait to see that 48 led build. make sure to keep us updated! ;)

11. Dendak

Dendak Astrea Snail

This is exactly what i was looking for!!! im totally doing this also! ill be posting pictures and what not of my project as well. Its time for theis WAY overpriced led bars to go under. Lets do it ourselves everyone!!!

1 person likes this.
  12. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

sounds good, it's very easy and I still like the results from mine. keep us posted on your led build!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.