$100 DIY Cree LED XR-E - Actinic Supplement 48" Light Strip

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Night-Rida, Jul 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Got mine today as well.but I'm gonna have to wait at least a week before I start building.work is to crazy right now.but will post the progress when I start..

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

Sweeeet! We cant wait to see your guy's leds creations over your tanks! do a before and after FTS picture if you could.. ;D

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Hey, Rida. I want t do this for my 29g. How many LED's would you suggest I use? I like the look of yours.

5. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

hey any up dates on your LED build..did mine and finally got around to putting them in canopy..got a thread going with before and after pics..

6. BUTT3RZ

BUTT3RZ Plankton

A co worker of mine found this thread, I believe he might be a member if this forum but anyway. I know this is forum is for salt water and reefs and all that great stuff but I have a small 10 Gallon freshwater tank that one of the two lights failed a long time ago (meaning the metal contacts actually broke) and the other is starting to fail, blink on an off. I was thinking about doing LEDs in my tank as I am very familier with LEDs and electronics but wasn't sure what LEDS would be good for it, hence I am here now. It is just a small 10 gallon tank like I said, from what I have read here on this post it appears that I might be good with only 3 - 4 LEDs on a tank this small, maybe 2 white and 2 blue. Just wanted to see what you guys think having done some of these yourselves?

7. dcwaskom

dcwaskom Plankton

I'm extreamly interested in this....any web sites you recamend too teach me about Leds. I eventualy would love to build a system to replace my coralife MH / pc led moonlight system. Any info would be great.

Dcwaskom

8. Click Here!

9. corey46

corey46 Astrea Snail

I need a serious lighting upgrade. I am not growing anything but Zoas right now and want to jump on some more softies. I have about $200 to spend on lighting and really want to go with LED's. I have a 90 gallon tank and was thinking about building a 12 LED Actinic strip and 1 with 12 whites. Any idea what that alone would be equivalent to in t-5's? I like the strips because I can build more and add on over time.

10. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I've read that 24 LEDs is equivalent to a 175W MH. 48 is a 400W. I am also building a LED fixture, but my budget is a lot higher than yours. I will be going with 80 LEDs.

11. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

i believe night-rida just got done a move and has been busy with that.

Corey, with a 90g i would probably go with 48 LEDs... 24 would give you nice coverage, however it will not be strong enough for all corals. 48 will allow you to keep almost all corals, however there may be a few that just dont take to LEDs as nicely for whatever reason.

Faceofdeceit: interested to see what this turns out like...

If there is a large interest, I can do a documentary on how i built my fully dimable LED actinics?

12. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Me too...as soon as I can sell my 3 36" fixtures, I will have enough to start the fixture. I will do a step-by-step documentary on the build. Priced it out so far to just over $1000...with 80 LEDs, HUGE heatsink, and 4 dimmable drivers, among misc. building materials. Should be a fun build...and if anyone needs a 36" fixture, lemme know. I have MH, PC and T5 HO avaliable.

EDIT: I am also very curious about the PAR30s that BoostLED has...instead of single 3W Cree's...waiting for some good words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.