100-150Gal rubbermaid sump?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by luvreefs23, Feb 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

I got a rough draft here of what i drew up as a sump, its just the basic i idea to perfect thru suggestions. Could i use the main pump to power calcium reactor and kalkwasser reactor or seperate feeds and pumps? Would this even come close to being functional?

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Almost forgot, on my diagram above i plan on using a 57 watt aqua V UV sterilizer on the return line.

4. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

one of my old systems used the rubbermaid horse troughs, works well with the right equipment and set up.
    i used an oversized 3" bulkhead fitting from the bottom of the trough and ran pvc upto where i wanted the water level. with 3" pvc the drain noise was minimal.

5. andybethke

andybethke Flamingo Tongue

lol sorry to put this off but the live rock barrier looks like a live turd barrier!!! haha jost joking that is an awesome idea!! props for the drawing if i did it it would look alot worse lol hope it works out for ya!!!

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

You will need to enlarge the input from the display tank at the very bottom as soon as you make the first turn. The way you have it, there will still be a violent push of water at the surface.

7. Executivelevel

Executivelevel Peppermint Shrimp

on the inlet pump from the upstairs tank couldnt you use a a ball valve to control the flow down to the rubbermaid and slow the water down to equalize it with the feed back up??

8. Click Here!

9. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I wouldnt recomend restricting your pumps output.
    if you want to minimize the input to the main tank Executive it would be beter done by bleeding off into the fuge and removing the fuge pump wouldnt it??

10. Executivelevel

i see what ur saying i think, but what i meant was to have a valve on the output of the tank to the basement to control the water flow, well i guess he would have to put a valve on there anyways so he could turn off the water if he had to for any reason to work on the sump without draining the tank. i just think if you had a way to slow down the incoming water, you could easier control the out put back to that tank

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

You never want to restrict the water coming from the OF. Just shut the pump off in the sump and let the tank drain until it quits, it will stop when the OF is under the standpipes. Half closed valves will get clogged with debree when you are gone for the weekend and then guess what happens......:-/ The best way to control the flow of a pump is to put a valve on the discharge side, it will do no harm to the pump. If you put one on the inlet side then you will burn the pump up in no time.

12. Executivelevel

yeah i guess your right, i, just going by how we used to plumb feeder systems for production lines and feeders. i used to work at a chocolate company and had to make all the stainless fed systems for the choc dispensing to the production lines.