10 Sump/fuge build.

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Seano Hermano, Oct 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Sweet. I'l be going with the mag 7 Then. the 450gph at 3' head should give me plenty of additional flow in my DT.

2. Click Here!

3. Lee G.

Lee G. Plankton

Cool design! I am new but thought this might help. I bought a used tank that had a big sock with it for a 10g sump set up. The person I bought it from use a piece of acrylic that fit like a lid on the 10g, but only 1/3 of it. In that acrylic he cut a hole that was big enough to fit the sock through but the metal ring on the opening of the sock won't slide through. It fits very snug, I would imagine even with a large quantity of water flowing through it. This may not help and if not, just count it as a newbie idea. Good luck.

4. Seano Hermano

:) Thanks. That's a good idea & I'm sure it would work.

But I found a filter sock holder(whatever you call it) for $30 that is the perfect size for my sump. The holder is only 4" & I can get it from FS Aquatics, where I will be buying most of the equipment for my tank.

Aquarium Filtration: Sump Inlet Assembly

5. Lee G.

Lee G. Plankton

Yea, that is much less intrusive than what I have. The sock I have has about a 6'' opening. Good Luck. I would really like to see pics of your sump. I haven't started to build mine yet, just trying to read as much as I possibly can on this forum (awesome place by the way).

6. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

This is true. Coming from a former plumber, mag pumps pushes way more water then the competition. I had a brick style pump rated at 1000 gph and the mag 7 pushes the same if not better in the same setup!

7. Seano Hermano

Thanks.

...picking up the glass today once Dad gets off work. Should be a few days before I installed it in the sump though. I need to drill my tank first.

8. Click Here!

9. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Hey seano man hows everything goin, u start puttin it all together yet or...? Im looking forward to this i kinda wanna model my new build after yours as long as u dun mind :D

10. Seano Hermano

Funny story, I was going to get the glass on Monday & we had no money in the bank account...get paid tomorrow. Will pick it up then.
    That would be an honor. :D

11. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

OuCh!!! i hate when that happens... happend to me a few times, it actually stopped me from buying a nice new tv but that's another story for another day haha

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Did you get your return pump yet? I know everyone said this already, but mag pumps are awesome. I have a 9.5 and it's crazy quiet. One thing to mention is the overkill... I went with a 9.5 because "I wanted good ass flow" in there... the problem was, my overflow could not take all that was coming from the mag pump, so.. later down the road, I had to upgrade my overflow (spend more cash) because I still wanted good ass flow in there.

So, make sure that the pump you get, can be handled by your overflow, after you get the overhead subtracted, otherwise you'll end up with that ball valve dialed to 25% open or less, like mine.

Just a thought...

- Mag.