10 Gallon tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Kevin88, Aug 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

lol...

2. Click Here!

3. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Totally correct, with all my equipment (controller/lighting/RO/DI unit/pumps/etc.) this system is over $1,000. I know it can be done cheaper, but IMO "you get what you pay for". If you're thinking of starting a 10gal. because you want SW and don't want to spend a lot of money, THINK AGAIN. Any SW tank will cost a decent amount of money to do right. Research, ask questions, determine what kind of tank you want to keep and then piece it together from there. Livestock ultimately determines what you will need for your tank to be successful IMO.

4. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

I mean, I honestly don't understand the negativity here. I do a water change every week. i have 20 pounds of LR, and I change up the rockwork alot so there's something new for my fish all the time.

5. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

I used to keep a 210 gal. system and when I moved I didn't have the space for it. I still have the system and have dreams/plans for it in the future. I also wanted to get into nano/pico. Just my personal choice, but I didn't want another large system (for right now :)) mainly due to space limitations and my wife lol. That's just my opinion as to why most people don't go bigger.

Agree with the indirect fact that your statement implies though... SMALLER DOESN'T MEAN CHEAPER. So if you're thinking this will be a cheap solution to a SW tank, do more research.

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

The main point here is that this is someone just getting into the hobby, and so we should all give solid advice to lead them on the correct path. If you are having success with your tank, that is great. But honestly my thoughts are that you should not advertise it. I see it as the exception, not the norm. You don't want every newbie to see this thread, buy a 10 gallon tank, and then throw 3+ fish in it thinking all is well.

I hope this came off as I intended, as no offense was meant.

7. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

not at all dude, no offense taken. I actually told him NOT to do this, but showed him that it's possible. he can get the 10 gallon and add in coral and 1 little fish, but as he gets experienced he can do more with the tank, that's what I was trying to tell him. Looks like I came off in a way i had not intended either

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Agreed. No problem with you sharing your success with a 10 gallon. I just suggest leaving off the part where you have 3 fish ;) People will just see your tank with 3 fish and think they can easily do it too, without reading everything else you wrote.

10. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

true true, people don't like to read all the way through

1 person likes this.
  11. Monstaman717

Monstaman717 Flamingo Tongue

I started off with a standard 15 gallon tank a hang on the back filter rated for 40 gallons and an ecoxotic marine light
    I started the hobby knowing nothing
    Did literally days of research (like actually over 24hours of research) and as a newbie nano tanks can be done
    They are hard but can be done
    I have 11 lbs of live rock three zoas a Kenya tree and pulsing Xenia
    2 clowns
    And it has now been running for just under a year with only one loss
    My poor clown goby :(

But it is definitely doable
    I am now upgrading to a 55 gallon reef (75 if I can convince my parents)
    And can't wait
    2 clowns is kinda over stocked for a 15 so definitely not for a ten

Maybe try one clown and a small goby
    They should be fine if you stay on top of it
    My clowns aren't big swimmers they only stay on the one half of the tank
    If not try maybe a group of sexy anemone shrimp that would be cool

Hope I was at least a little helpful :p