10 Gallon tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Kevin88, Aug 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

Couldn't agree more, wow 10 gallons, I would think 2 clowns is too much, can't u hit out and find a 30 or 40 ? 10 is a hard tank to keep, smaller the tank harder the water to keep right.

2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Yeah you're not going to be able to find anything besides maybe a Goby for that tank. A 10 gallon tank can be very hard to take care of because of how easily the temperature and parameter levels can swing. You will have to top off with freshwater every other day or so as well.

4. Kevin88

Kevin88 Astrea Snail

I know you have to put freshwater in it all the time. Can someone tell me what I would be able to put in it then...?

I'm thinking about just tossing the 10 gallon idea and buying a 55 gallon that I found on CL.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  5. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Well you could do a Goby or Goby/Pistol Shrimp combo. There really aren't many fish that could fit in there. You could do a Cleaner Shrimp or Fire Shrimp, though.

A 55 gallon may be a better idea.

6. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I agree with what's been said. Get something larger...at least a std 29 gal. Your 10 gal and filter will make a nice quarantine tank (QT), so you can get it up and cycling now.

Here's a good primer on QT methods:

Quarantine! It's a Life Sentence, not a Death Sentence

7. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

great link Greg useful info.

8. Click Here!

9. Swim

Swim Astrea Snail

Don't toss the 10 gallon. You can have a few uses for it. Use it as a QT, make a custom sump for a larger tank, or just a holding container for RODI topoff water. I have tanks in storage for such things.

10. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

in my 10 gallon, I have a pair of clowns with a blue damsel. It's not bad animal husbandry at all, they're pretty damn healthy. 10 gallon reefs are for pro's though, you gotto keep up with the water changes. hell, I dont even have a skimmer on mine lol. Just a regular old filter rated for 15 gallons.

11. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

so, yeah you can. But i recommend starting off with a bigger tank, 10 gallon is pretty hard to take care of.

12. Kevin88

Kevin88 Astrea Snail

I'm not really worried about it being hard to take care of. My sister's husband has a 14g biocube with about 6 fish.