10 Gallon tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Kevin88, Aug 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin88

Kevin88 Astrea Snail

I have a 10 gallon tank with nothing but a small filter. I was wondering what I would need to get a saltwater tank going.

I am new to the hobby. With that being said, English please. :cheesy:

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Well, bare minimum would be a heater, substrate (sand), 10 lbs of live rock or so, some form of lighting, and maybe a small powerhead. For supplies, obviously salt, high quality hydrometer or refractometer, test kits (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH at a minimum), top-off water (RO/DI water should be used, including the initial tank fill), and a net.

But just know smaller tanks are much more challenging to keep than a large one. You will need to top the tank off almost daily with fresh RO/DI water to keep the salinity the same. It will be a challenge to maintain temperature as well.

What are you looking to keep in the tank?

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

+1^^ Marshall pretty much summed it up.

5. Kevin88

Kevin88 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not really sure exactly what I want, but I definitely want a royal gramma. Other than that, I might have a couple of ocellaris' and maybe a yellow goby. (assuming they can all go together)

Other than fish, I'll have a few hermit crabs, some mushrooms, and maybe a rose urchin.

My sister's husband has a 14 gallon reef tank and a 135 gallon fish tank, and he said he'd help me get mine started.

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Well unfortunately, a 10 gallon is really only appropriate for 1-2 smaller fish. To house the fish you are asking about you will need a tank closer to the 30 gallon size. Maybe look into an all-in-one tank, such as a JBJ 28 or Bio-cube 29. This would be an easier tank to start off with IMO.

7. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

I got a 10 gallon dude, just bought a 40 :) with the 10 gallon, everything is super sensitive. I have just a regular old filter in it, with a petco heater. I have an 18w t8 light, and a very nice led fixture. My coral and fish are very happy and healthy. Just make sure to keep topping off, cause before you know it your salinity will hit 1.030 lol

EDIT: my stocking list includes a pair of ocellaris clowns, a damsel, and a red sea star. for coral, I have a toadstool, frogspawn, kryptonite candy cane, a duncan, mushrooms, and zoa's.

8. Click Here!

9. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

It is possible, youtube 10galreef.

10. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

Check mine out!

Attached Files:

11. Kevin88

Kevin88 Astrea Snail

Could I have a royal gramma and a pair of ocellaris clowns?

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Naw, not in a 10 gallon. Technically you could but it would not be the right way to proceed. Not enough room, hard to maintain good water quality when your feeding 3 fish in a 10 gallon. The clowns will get too big and that is not enough territory for Clowns and Royal Gramma.

People will come along and tell it's fine, but it's poor animal husbandry in my opinion.

Go to Liveaquaria.com and look at minimum tank sizes.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Ocellaris Clownfish