10 gallon DIY fuge

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Pisces23, Jan 27, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

haha...at least you're honest...AND now you'll notice them next time you watch the weather...

Damn right, Pabst Blue Ribbon...best cheap beer out there...one of the better habits I picked up living in the woods in NH for 2 years...

And now that I've got a cold one open, I'm going to try glueing pvc for the first time...this should be fun!

2. Click Here!

3. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Note To Self: the half inch that the PVC pieces slide into each other during the dry-fit becomes a FULL INCH when you use the actual glue.

Does anyone know how the hell to get purple PVC primer off your hands???

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: See, that PBR rots your brain cells. :lol:

Nail polish remover...don't use the non-acetone stuff either :D

5. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Ran outta PBR halfway thru and had to switch to Bud Lite...
    Probably didn't help matters much...
    I had wanted to avoid using vinyl tubing for any of the project (other than the short connections to the SCWD), but it looks like I'm going to have to use a 8-12 inch section of tube to get from the hard pvc inside the cabinet out back to the SCWD.
    Thanks for the tip!

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Well, I have no idea what you just said but have fun with all of that. :lol: In case you couldn't tell, equipment is not my forte :)

PS. Finally got our snow day didn't we :)

7. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

I was afraid of that...oh well...

It doesn't count as a snow day if it happens on a bloody saturday!
    Scraping ice off of the sidewalk is NOT how I planned on spending my morning...

8. Click Here!

9. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Alright, back to the sump/fuge/plumbing thingy...

I finished up the plumbing this morning and filled up the empty 20H I'm using to mock it all up on...crossed my fingers and started the siphon and the return pump.

Good news: All of the plumbing didn't explode and and shoot water all over the room. I sorted out the flow with the ball valves for now and even checked the level in the sump when the pump shuts off and the back siphon starts (I haven't drilled my anti-siphon holes yet).

Not so good news: The three threaded pvc to hose barb fittings all leak. Other than more teflon tape and cranking down on them, any suggestions?
    The overflow also has a raging case of the gurgles. I suppose I'm going to have to build a Durso standpipe. Or do I really need a Stockman standpipe because of my hang-on overflow? Unless anyone else has any other ideas...which would rock... ;) Actually, any advice about overflows and standpipes would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Where are you using a MIP or FIP x Barbed fitting at ? Unions and hard pipe are the way to go also Teflon is a doubled edged sword many fell more is better then a little.. But what happens is if more then a few winds the tape will crack a fitting Rule of Teflon thumb is 6 x's the pipe diameter .say its a one inch fitting then 6. inches is all you need. Teflon is not to seal a leak as is pipe thread dope either they are just a lubricant to prevent the threads from gladding on each other from friction. A pipe thread is tapered out wards from the starting threads on the MIP then on the FIP it's tapered in wards to create a wedge as the two threads tighten up onto each other. Unlike a machine thread like used on elect conduit they are straight threaders and not meant to hold water or pressure.

11. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

I was hoping the "equipment" guy would weigh in. ;) Thanks!
    I'm using a SCWD and it requires the flexible tubing (maybe you can see it in the previous pics) so there are 3 MIP x barbed fittings. I couldn't see any way around them. I rewrapped the threads with 3 or for wrap of tape (at the suggestion of a friend who used to do some plumbing and just shook his head at me as he described threads as "circular leaks") and then screwed them in as far as I could. If THIS doesn't work I'll use your thread equation. 3/4 inch fittings so 4.5 inches of tape, right?
    Also I got the Wally-world flavor kitty litter you suggested and tossed it in the ghetto-fuge so it can do it's nasty cloudy thing now while I'm still mucking around with the set up.
    And yes, it's 2:30 am and I'm up the night before a job interview because I can't get plumbing and the eventual tank switch out of my head...