10 gallon DIY fuge

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Pisces23, Jan 27, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Hmmm...good to know. What did you do about it? What did it become clogged with?

2. Click Here!

3. mwlude

mwlude Astrea Snail

I just did the same thing for my tank, a micron bag on the inlet and it is next to my remora skimmer so that catches the micro bubbles. I can post a pict later.

4. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. I'm starting to think about how to run the Remora (a HOB) in the sump. Can't decide if i should just toss the whole thing in, lower the pump, hang it on the back and/or use the prefilter box.
    Suggestions and pics are very welcome!

5. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

I just lowered the pump on mine.

6. mwlude

mwlude Astrea Snail

I lowered the pump and hung it on the back left. The inlet comes in next to it and put a piece of plexi angled todard the front to cut down on noise. I have never posted picts so i will try later just got back with some new corals.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  7. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Take your time getting those new corals acclimated!
    I don't know if this is the best way to do it, but I go to Photos on the top left menu and then go to Upload. After that you can either try to use the Insert Image icon here on the posting screen or the paperclip icon to attach the pic. Maybe someone else can either give us the correct method or point us in the direction of the, um, directions...

8. Click Here!

9. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

I still haven't had time to play with the plumbing, but I've been thinking about my returns. I'm going to do the series of 90 deg. elbows going over the back that I'm sure you've seen before.
    My questions du jour is what about anti-siphon holes? I have a very basic idea of what they're about (small holes drilled in returns just below the high water line that will break the back siphon if all heck breaks loose), but would love some input...

10. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Oh, look it's me posting in my thread to myself...again...
    ;)

So I finally took the time to dry fit the plumbing for the sump, etc today. Wasn't as bad as I'd thought. Of course, if I had bought the correct size hose clamps and the last 90 deg. elbow things would be better.

Anyway, here are 2 shots...one of the whole set up on my extra 20H and the other is a close up of the sump. You'll see the ball valve T'ing off to the fuge container. Imagine there being a 90 deg. elbow pointing down into that...

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

My 2 cents would be to trim the drain hose so that the end is not totally submerged in water. You will get some gurgling otherwise from escaping air. Maybe clamp it to the side. Try as is and you should see what I am talking about.

Nice work!

12. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Thanks, Matt. That's actually already on my to-do list. I just wanted to get it on there for the pic to help visualize what I plan on doing. If I'm lucky I can get to the hardware store to get the last few pieces tomorrow and do the scary glue-it-all-together-forever part. And then, the freshwater test and the inevitible mopping...

:thinking2